Devil 15

Upright:

Keywords

(To Follow)

Astrological Association – Capricorn – Cardinal sign of Earth.

The Devil makes his appearance rather suddenly after the peace and tranquility ofTemperance. What happened? Had we not learnt our lesson after the Death Card? Had we not gained personal insight and wisdom? Had we not realised the true value of worthwhile things in our life and discarded that which was useless and destructive? It appears not

When The Devil appears he has a powerful influence on some of us. He draws us to him with promises and glimpses of the good things in life and the spoils of the material world. He lures us with offers of wine, women and song! He laughs at the idea of a spiritual purpose or spiritual destiny. He prefers to live for today, take what he can get and to hell with the consequences. With the glittering guarantee of material gain and a conscience free life, he lures us onto his path and under his spell.

The Devil sits, half beast, half man, on a perch in a black room. He has the head of a horned goat. On top of his head rests an inverted five-pointed star, the Inverted Pentagram. The Upright Pentagram represents the five points of the body, the head, arms and legs. It also represents the Four Elements along with a Fifth Element, that of Spirit. When it is upright the body is in balance and connected to spirit. When it inverts, the connection with spirit is lost and our animatistic nature and passions take control.

In front of The Devil stands the man and woman from The Lovers card. Each have a chain noose loosely hung around their neck. Both chains are attached to each other binding the couple together. The horns on their heads suggest that the innocence they once experienced in The Lovers has now being lost. The Devil holds a blazing torch which he uses to ignite the animalistic nature of the man.

The Devil Card is one of control, illusion, deception and materialism. The Devil would have you believe that money can buy you everything such as friends, love, happiness, career, fancy houses, goods and cars. He trades on dreams of 'The Rock Star Lifestyle'. He lacks morals, principles and standards and encourages you to do the same. The end justifies the means as far as The Devil is concerned.

The Devil leads us to believe that we have no choices in life, that we are stuck where we are, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'. He is constantly after material gain and rubs his hands in glee as he attracts many followers. With false promises and tempting offers his power is magnetic and his smile charming. However, once he has you hooked and reeled in, his demeanour changes and from behind his back he pulls long lengths of heavy chain which he proceeds to coil into loops. The chains look neither glittering nor comfortable as he casts them high above his head and hurls them about our necks. Our feeble protests and disbelief about such restriction and confinement bring sneering snarls from his gaping mouth. "You should have read the small print before signing on the dotted line" he jeers as he tightens his grip and tethers the chain fast and strong. Before he leaves us in the dark he reminds us that we are now his, to do with as he chooses and that escape is futile. The heavy cold chains rattle as we move reminding us every moment of our self-inflicted enslavement.

The Devil proceeds to indoctrinate you with his twisted propaganda, attitudes and beliefs. His delight is to see you walk over everyone to get to the top of the career ladder, choosing partners for looks or money, but never for love (the trophy girlfriend or boyfriend!). He whispers lies and suggestions in your ear to make you angry or jealous. He tells you negative things about yourself and others. You will think that you have bought control of your life with all your things, your flashy car, your huge mortgage, your fancy clothes and holidays but that is only an illusion for it is The Devil who has control, and it is The Devil who wants to keep it that way. Having and getting, having and getting, constantly wanting more and more. He values no one who has a good heart or principles, for they bore him. He would not want such people around you either, for they might just remind you of the fact that at the end of your journey you must leave your worldly possessions behind you.