Chapter 26: Scatter

x~X~x

We've been walking for a month. Gods I'm tired, at least tonight I can sleep. 

"Guys, I think I can see the town!" I perk right up, while Thero seems a little sad and hangs back.

"Thero," I place my hand on his shoulder, "is there something wrong?"

"Yes, there is." Well, that was easier than I thought. "I'm an elf, and we belong in the forest, we're not happy being in a town or city. There's also the fact that I have to hide my face and hair."

I sigh. We had talked about this a few days ago. Elves have been gone for a long time and if someone were to see one we have no clue how they would react, would they try to kill him or would they sell him on the black market?

"I know that it's tough, but we talked about this. Both you and Masami need to hide what you are."

"I know that, but it still doesn't feel good."

I lean up close to his ear, "Think of it this way, we're about a six months walk from home. if we were to run, even during the night, we could be there in about two to three months." I lean back and look him in the eyes, "Closer to our end goal, neither one of us will be lonely anymore." 

I start back off towards the town, hearing Thero mumble, "If we are still alive after all this ends." 

x~X~x

As we walk through town we stop at a few stalls and buy new food supplies before we find an inn to stay in for the night so in the morning we can just leave.

My sister finally showed back up and Thero and I talk to her a little bit as she flies back and forth, exploring the town. 

"Hey, I found an inn for you." I jump because she went through my torso. 

"Lead the way, the others will follow soon enough." Thero just kept walking, now following my sister. 

Sure enough, Evelyn and Leo end up following us as we walk along. Once we get to the inn Evelyn goes to pay for it when the owner looks into the mirror behind us and sees that she has no reflection, I'm fading in and out of the mirror, and Masami's tails out of my bag, he starts to scream and yell that demons are in town. 

The front doors don't open more than ten seconds later. A bunch of scruffy looking men sneer at all of us then look to the man behind the counter.

"L-look," he starts to point to the mirror, "th-they're not h-human." 

"Get the weapon!" One shouts.

I do the only thing that I can think of at the moment. I raise my hands high above my head and shout, "Concursores fluctus!" I bring my hands down.

"Run and don't hurt them!" The others take off down the near-empty street, my magic having worked all the way down the street. I finally pick myself up off the floor and use my magic to glide over the men that fell first. 

When I get off the front porch area the people that are farther down the street begin to stir. 

"Masami!" 

As I run down the street Masami jumps from my bag and grows in forms. When she reaches full size I climb the air up to her back, from this height I can see the others running to the forest in different directions. I have no hope for my voice reaching them so I use my magic to project my thoughts into their heads.

"Guys, we'll meet up at the lake that's five miles ahead, heading towards the next town, be there in twelve hours. Scatter if need be, I'll project the directions into your heads." 

In the next few seconds, everyone looks up to see me and Masami on a rooftop, and nod as I send the directions to each of them. 

x~X~x

Masami and I finally stop after about three miles. As soon as we had reached the forest I told Masami that I better carry her so we could move without being seen as easy, she agreed and started to shrink down. 

I lean up against a tree, exhausted. I look up to the sky and see the sun is setting.

"Damn." I look down to Masami, "I'm not going to make it before nightfall. I need to find a better place to hide." 

After wandering around the overgrown forest, I finally find a cave. I glance up at the sky one more time before I place a powerful spell over the entrance to hide the whole cave. This is a spell that my sister gave mean, and speak of the devil, here she comes. 

"Where are the others?" She moves her head to the side in question.

 After I finish I explaining the situation, I'm ready to pass out and sleep for a week. Mina flys off again saying that she'll try to find the others, while I just lay down on the floor and fall off to a deep sleep.

x~X~x

I wake up again in the Other Place for the first time since Thero and I got that spell to use. The people greet me just the same as the last time as I continue to the biggest tent. 

I let myself be known before I enter and as I enter I get tackled to the ground. I open my eyes again and I notice that Thero was the one that tackled me. 

"Jacqueline you're okay!" He seems really happy to see me. "When you and Leo didn't show at the camp when Evelyn and I got there, or by nightfall, we got really worried and decided to wait until morning to look for you." He takes a deep breath in, having said that all in one breath. 

He helps me off the ground and I explain my situation to him. 

"Okay, that's fine then I guess." He looks off in thought, then continues to talk, "I guess I need to wake up and tell Evelyn what's going on." 

Then he disappeared. 

x~X~x