Chapter 29: Approaching Storm

x~X~x

We make camp for the night underneath a huge tree. I help Evelyn set up our tent while the boys set up their tent on the other side of the tree, and we make a campfire between our two tents. It's almost sunset and it's my night for having watch, the two vampires that don't sleep at night get to have watch the whole night while Thero and Leo share the night watch. I climb the tree with ease, I've always loved climbing trees and this was like winning farm animals in the village. 

I reach the lowest branch and look out over the camp and the forest.

"Hey Thero!" He looks up to me, "Have fun with my mother and Elwen!" He doesn't say anything as he goes into his tent. I just lean back and laugh. I watch as the sun dips below the tree line and I watch the moon start to glow brighter in the absence of the sun. I've loved the moon for as long as I can remember. Sometimes when I was younger I would sneak out of the house at night just to climb trees all the way to the top so I could watch the moon move along its path. I also felt like my magic was stronger when the moon was up. 

My father always hated it though because sometimes I would fall asleep in the tree. One of the first times I did that he had barged out of the house and yelled for me at the top of his lungs, back then we were a little farther away from the town so they didn't hear a thing, but I sure had. I fell out of the tree, hitting a lot of branches on my way down before I used one of the only spells I knew about to make myself levitate. He was angry at me for the rest of the day and then some, but even as he angrily cleaned my cuts up I could tell that he was relieved that I was okay. 

"Hey, there good lookin'." Evelyn pulls herself up onto the tree branch that I'm on. 

"Hey yourself," I smirk at her. 

"You seemed lonely, so I decided to come join you." She smiles back at me, "What was it you were thinking about?" 

"I was thinking about something from my childhood." I look back at the sky. "My father always hated it when I would climb trees in the middle of the night to watch the moon."

"You snuck out at night just to watch the moon?" She seems shocked.

"Yeah, I did. I always feel that my magic is stronger at night, especially during the full moon. I also just liked to watch it fly through the night sky." 

Evelyn snuggles up next to me, wrapping an arm around me. "Maybe I could enjoy watching the moon go by with you." 

We stay like this the remainder of the night, not talking to each other, just enjoying the presence of each other. When the sun starts to rise, Evelyn leaves first jumping out of the tree and going to her tent. I watch as she goes in and Thero comes out of his tent, even though he's been sleeping the whole night he seems really tired. I jump down to meet him.

"So has was the meetings?" I smirk at him, and he just glares back at me. He seems like he wants to kill me. 

"It went great." I could hear the sarcasm dripping and hitting the ground with each word. "Lillian yelled at me with that mom voice about why didn't I tell her and what happened after you had woke up. She's using me as a messenger for every action you do." He grabs his bag and pulls out some food. 

"By the way, I don't think Leo wants to wake up this morning." 

I smile at the plan that forms in my head.

x~X~x

All anyone hears within a mile of camp is the sounds of Leo's screams. 

Leo runs out of his tent holding his butt, little bits of smoke rising from underneath his hands. 

"What happen?" Evelyn comes running from the other side of the tree, while I fall to the ground holding my sides. I can't laugh anymore and all that comes out is air followed by me wheezing, Evelyn comes rushing up to me. 

"What happen to-"

"Don't talk to her Evelyn, she just threw a fireball at my butt." 

Thero, who had no clue what I just did, understands what happened and also starts laughing at him. Evelyn then understands why I'm on the ground now.

"Maybe you should wake up in the mornings when we wake you up then." 

He just growls at us all and marches to his tent, Thero follows soon after. Maybe they have a thing starting. I smile at the thought of them two being together, although on the outside I'm still laughing heavily. 

"I am," breath in, "such a child still." I try to calm myself. In, out, in, out, in and out. I can tell that my face is still redder than Evelyn's hair. 

"Come on you child," she offers me her hand, "we still have to pack up the campsite." I take the hand and let her lead me back to our tent. 

"They left during the night, so we don't have to worry about them anymore." I look up at Evelyn while I take out the stakes holding the tent up. What does she mean... Oh, the wolves.

"Did they? I hadn't noticed." I really didn't notice I was to busy watching the moon and enjoying Evelyn for the night. 

"Yeah, not long after I got in the tree with you." 

I just shrug my shoulders as I watch the tent collapse just as she leaves the tent. I quickly finish my chore of packing it away and wait by the fire for the boys. I lean back on the ground using my arms to support myself as I watch the clouds. 

"We're gonna want to set camp up again in a few hours."

I hear the other tent fall and then Leo's voice, "Why? We have the whole day ahead of us."

"Because it's going to storm really bad in a few hours, we're gonna want to find a high point and maybe a cave for shelter tonight."

x~X~x