Chapter 31: Black Out

Warning: Mentions of blood and gore. 

x~X~x

I open my eyes and I'm back in the real world. I glance around, looking for Leo and Evelyn. I spy Leo hunched over Evelyn.

"Do you remember the last time we drank Thero's blood?" 

The sudden sound of my voice startles him and he jumps up to just find me. 

"Um, maybe, the day before yesterday?" I look at the ground. How are we going to stay away from Thero and keep the vampire sides of us happy? 

"What's wrong? Did you find out what is happening to you two?"

"Leo, I know that this might sound weird, but I need you to keep me and Evelyn as far away from Thero as you can. Maybe within the next few hours, or tomorrow, the vampire part of us both will spiral out of control and attack," my eyes fly over to Thero, "the source of the blood that we are not getting any more of." 

I stand and walk out of the cave, into the pouring rain. Maybe the rain can help me keep calm and not go out of control. The rain soaks me near instantly as I climb my way up a tree to the top, even though I can't see the moon I can feel the energy from it. 

I feel really weak, but at the same time, I feel lots of fury rising up in me, giving me new energy. I keep chanting to myself that I can't hurt my friends, and I will not hurt my friends. I know that it must be way worse for Evelyn, a full-fledged vampire, so I decide to check on them to make sure that Leo can handle her. 

I reach the front of the cave and the smell of blood hits me like a rock. It's not Thero's blood but it is Leo's. The smell of blood is making me lose control of the vampire inside of me, but I still have enough sense to take in the situation around me. Evelyn is in a frenzy and Leo is holding his left shoulder, blood coming out from under his hand. Thero is awake now and he's standing behind Leo, a bow and arrow at the ready to attack if need be. 

I stumble forward, the vampire side of me pulling my body into the fight. I come up behind Evelyn and Thero's eyes grow wide in fear, while Leo's eyes fill with the will to protect everyone. I still have some of my sense left so I grab Evelyn from behind and wrap my arms under hers, I cast my strongest shield spell. The same one that I used on Masami when I have to calm her down. The golden shine of the walls encloses us in a square box.

As soon as I release Evelyn she runs at the wall full force and slams against it. 

"Thero..." I struggle to get the words out, "how long... should this last?" 

"After you left Lillian said something about that it could last for a few days, depending on how much you have drunk and how often you did." 

"So how long... are we going to be like... this?" 

"About three days." 

Okay, great, I just have to hold one of my strongest spells for three days and hope that Evelyn doesn't kill me or knock me out. 

"I don't know if I can hold the spell that long, so as soon as the rain stops I need you and Leo to run as far as you can towards the next town." I don't struggle as much, my body getting used to the effects of the withdraw. 

x~X~x

It's been a few hours since the boys left. While waiting for the rain to stop Thero cleaned up Leo's shoulder and put it in a sling, then left when the rain started to lighten up so the smell of blood couldn't be tracked by Evelyn, or me. I think that Evelyn might be finding out that I'm the one causing her prey to get away from her, but at the same time it seems like she doesn't want to attack me. 

I hope that they have had enough time to run because I don't know how much longer I can hold the shield up. The sight of a rising sun is a relief to me somewhat, I've held the spell for about ten hours. The withdrawn effects must be getting stronger because I want to drop the shield and run as fast as I can to find some elf blood. 

I can't fight the monster any longer, the shield should hold for about ten more minutes after I stop giving energy to it. I fall to my knees and the darkness takes over all my senses. 

I remember very little of what all I did, the only thing that I remember is throwing myself against the shield wanting it to break. I don't remember anything after that. 

I come to my senses, and let's just say that I don't feel the greatest. My head is pounding and I feel like I'm laying in a water puddle, and it feels really uncomfortable. I want to open my eyes but I don't feel like I can, so I try to sit up instead. 

"Sister, wake up." few seconds of silence, "I know you're awake. You need to wake up and treat yourself and Evelyn." 

Wait, treat? I open my eyes to see the familiar glowing light of the spell that I'd used, but how was it still up? I actually sit up this time, only to groan in pain. I look around the area to see blood on the walls and covering the ground. 

I look to my sister, a million questions running through my mind, but only one comes out, "What happened to us?"

x~X~x