Chapter 1

A/N This book starts at the end of season 3 and will most likely be loosely following the season 4 plot line, also I'm going to write it as if Sam and Ruby never moved away and neither did Winn, just because I can and I miss them.

————————————

Lena, Kara and Sam woke up from the Dark Valley - they had finally defeated Reign and Sam was now free of her forever. Sam woke up and noticed Alex stood by her bed with Ruby, Alex however, looked very concerned for Sam. She's so cute Sam thought to herself. Oh God, did I really just think that?

"Where's Kara?" Lena blurted out to Alex. Lena genuinely cared about Kara and she hadn't seen her in a few days, although it was understandable considering everyone, including Lena, had been so busy trying to save the world.

Alex became flustered as she realised she couldn't make up an answer quick enough until Winn decided to join the conversation "she's had a lot of reporting to do - world killers and all." Alex gave Winn a look as if to say 'thanks' and he just nodded in response.

Lena became deep in thought for a moment, and then decided "I'm going to call Kara, make sure she's okay and everything.." Lena trailed off as she pulled her phone from her pocket and dialled Lara's number. As she did, Supergirl's phone began to ring "sorry I need to take this, uh, important Supergirl stuff." She stated as she walked off and around the corner.

"Hey Kara, are you okay?" Lena asked, concern showing in her voice.

"Yeah of course I am, I'm glad to know you're okay too though." Kara replied, trying to seem quiet.

"Mhm" Lena sounded annoyed - Kara could sense it. She turned around to find Lena, stood against the wall, staring at Kara in her Supergirl suit as Lena's eyes began to tear up.

"Lena please, let me explai-" Kara began, but was quickly cut off.

"No, I don't want to hear it Kara, or whatever your name really is. You were the first and only person I had ever truly opened up to, I told you the most personal and intricate details about my life because I thought that I could trust you, when all of this time you've kept who you really are hidden from me. I get that you have to keep your real identity secret Supergirl, but I thought we were friends, hell, I thought we were best friends, but clearly, you didn't feel the same." Lena now had tears streaming down her face as she stared as Kara for a few more moments before turning around and exiting back to the room where Alex, Sam, Ruby, Winn and J'onn stood in awkward silence after hearing every word.

Kara just stood there, speechless, a sinking feeling in her chest made her feel as though she was dying, although she was invincible and knew it wasn't true, it sure as hell felt like it. How could she respond to that? She had just hurt her best friend when she only meant to keep her safe.

—————————————

"Your sister is supergirl?" Sam asked Alex, completely gobsmacked. Alex's face looked empty with no expression at all, she didn't even reply to Sam, just stood there, glaring into nothingness.

"Why is this a bad thing?" Ruby asked, her innocence showing through her face "I mean, Lena, if she didn't tell you, you must have to believe she had a good reason - I mean, she is Supergirl after all." Ruby continued.

"She does have a point." Alex stated bluntly.

J'onn clasped his hands together as a way to break the tension in the room "right, I think we've all had an emotional and long day today, everyone go home, get some rest, and take time to think over the events of today." J'onn really was like a father figure to the group.

Everyone left after saying their goodbyes as it was getting late. Kara has already left after the argument with Lena as she didn't want everyone to see her in such a state.

—————————————

Kara sat on the sofa in her loft, her knees pulled up to her chest while she was sobbing to herself after what happened with Lena. She cared about Lena deeply, and with Lena already having a target on her back with being a Luthor, she didn't want to put Lena in any extra danger with Kara being Supergirl. Kara could also never really deal with her emotions so she had decided to not deal with them.

A knock on the door disrupted Kara's line of thought. She used her X-Ray vision to look through the door as she saw a concerned-looking Alex waiting impatiently at the door. Kara was trying to decide if she wanted company right now when she heard Alex say "I know you can see me Kara, please, just let me in."

Kara forced herself off of the couch and dragged herself towards the door, she unlocked it and began walking back to the couch, leaving Alex to open the door for herself. As Alex opened the door she followed Kara to the couch and sat down next to her, motioning Kara to rest her head on her shoulder.

"Talk to me Kara." Alex whispered after a few moments of silence.

"How do I mess things up with the one person I truly love, Alex? She's the one person I would protect over anything and yet, somehow, the 'Girl of Steel' managed to mess that up." Kara sobbed out into Alex's shoulder.

"Oh Kara." Alex said in a comforting tone, all of her emotions joined together as she felt sorry for Kara. "It's going to be okay, I promise."