Chapter 2

Kara woke up the next morning, dreading the day to come. She had to go to work, but as Kara Danvers the reporter, not Supergirl. But her boss, Snapper, knew she had connections with Lena and if he ever needed an interview he would always send Kara, and she just hoped that today wasn't one of those days.

Kara dragged herself out of bed to find Alex making pancakes and waffles in Kara's kitchen. "Morning." Alex smiled at the half-dead looking Kara. "I slept on the couch so I could be here in the morning to make sure you get to work okay." Alex said while putting a plate of food down in front of Kara.

"Thank you Alex." Kara said while forcing a smile, you could tell she wasn't okay but she wanted to be - she wanted to seem okay for her sister. Kara ate her food without speaking too much and then got dressed, said goodbye to Alex and left for work.

Kara stopped off at Noonan's on her way to work, she thought just because she was feeling down didn't mean she couldn't make others happy. She ordered 4 lattes and walked to CatCo where she worked as a reporter as her day job.

When she got to work she handed out the coffee to her co-workers until she ran into her boss, James Olsen, who was also one of her best friends and also an ex boyfriend that Kara never really connected with.

"Are you okay Kara? You don't really have that usual 'ray of sunshine' vibe about you today." James asked Kara, genuine concern in his voice. You could tell that James still wasn't really over kara but he knew that she didn't love him, that she loved someone else, even. Although, everyone already know that.

Kara let out a huge sigh before answering James as she slumped her shoulders she almost whispered "Lena knows.. a-and she didn't take it too well." Kara didn't really know if she should be talking to her ex about having a fight with the woman she loved but there didn't seem to be anyone else there right now.

"Kara, I'm sure she just needs time to adjust, it's huge thing to find out that your best friend is a superhero. Trust me, I know, but she'll come around eventually Kara, she genuinely cares about you and anyone would be able to see that from a mile away." James was trying to comfort Kara the best he could but nothing seemed to work - she was truly broken and the only person who could fix her is the one who broke her.

"Danvers!" Snapper yelled in his usual groggy voice as he walked past. This snapped Kara out of her venting about Lena to James which was probably for the best - he had listened to enough by now.

"Uh- yes sir?" Kara replied to snapper, nervous as to what he may be about to ask.

"I need you on an exclusive with Lena Luthor, you have connections with her and we need to know up-to-date information on any upcoming projects." Snapper explained to Kara as she felt as though she was about to throw up.

"But sir-" she began but was instantly cut off "look Danvers, I honestly couldn't care less about what you're about to say, just go get that exclusive."

The aching in Kara's chest grew as she realised she would have to face Lena even though she knew it most likely wouldn't go well, I mean, the last time they talked was an argument and since then Lena had been ignoring all of Kara's texts and calls. This made Kara extremely anxious to even think about what might happen.

—————————————

Kara walked through the huge glass doors of L-Corp, surprised herself that she had made it this far, she walked up to the desk where Lena's assistant, Jess, sat, typing away on her computer until she looked up to see Kara stood there, she smiled and said "Hello Ms. Danvers, I assume that you're here to visit Ms. Luthor?"

"Yes, yes I am, I should have an appointment with her for an interview" Kara responded. "Ah yes, I see it, just go on up."

As Kara stepped into the elevator, alone, it started going up towards the top floor but Kara felt as though she couldn't breathe. The walls began to close in on her and she was shaking uncontrollably until her legs collapsed from beneath her and she sat in the corner of the elevator, shaking and rocking back and forth and unable to move completely.

Lena heard the elevator ding when it reached her floor but when she heard no knock on the door she grew suspicious, she got up from her desk and began to walk towards the door of her office. She heard muffled sniffles and grew increasingly worried, she quickly opened the door to the sight of Kara - her best friend, sat in the corner of her elevator with her knees tucked to her chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Oh my god, Kara! Are you okay?" Lena almost yelled and without even thinking, she rushed over to Kara and embraced her in a hug in an attempt to calm her down. Kara's heart rate slowed and after a long few minutes Lena helped Kara up off of the floor and guided her to the white couch in her office.

"Kara, I-I had no idea you got panic attacks." Lena said, concern in her voice at the fact the girl of steel could be brought to her knees over her own mind.

"I haven't really had one in a while... I used to only get them for a while after I landed on earth, whenever I thought of my birth parents and krypton being destroyed I would get them... but I guess something else happened today." Kara has struggled to get all of those words out, especially when she was still so damaged from the past few days.

"Kara... I-I'm so sorry... for everything, I shouldn't have reacted the way I did and if I could I'd take it a-" Lena began to ramble but Kara cut her off.

"No Lena, it's okay, it's my fault for not telling you, I just wanted to protect you because you already have a target on your back because you're a Luthor and I didn't want you know I was Supergirl to endanger you even more, I guess I should've told you though." Kara explained this to Lena about how all she wanted to do was protect her best friend and Lena became extremely guilty after putting Kara through all of this.

"Wow... Kara, I-I thought you didn't tell me because I was a Luthor and you couldn't trust me... I had no idea that that was the real reason." Lena had no idea to react, did Kara actually care about her? And if so, why? Her brother was the arch nemesis of her cousin so why would she care about Lena at all? In fact, why didn't she hate her?

"Lena... I will always care about you, and you know that you being a Luthor doesn't bother me in the slightest and I will always be here for you" Kara took hold of both of Lena's hands as she spoke, you could tell this meant a lot to Lena.

They both sat and talked for a while until Kara had completely calmed down and then Kara did her interview on Lena for Snapper. Kara and Lena both had to get back to work so they said goodbye to each other as Kara left to go back to CatCo so she wouldn't get fired for taking so long on one interview.

Kara left extremely happy at the fact her and Lena were best friends again and she didn't have to worry about Lena hating her anymore - she could now finally focus.