- 4 -

jughead

The piercing words flow out of my mouth as an instinct.

"Jug.. I-I'm sorry." Archie says with sunken eyes and a pouty mouth.

"Are you, Arch? Are you really sorry for fucking my girlfriend? I'm sure you aren't because you sure as hell got enjoyment out of it." I sneer.

Betty walks next to me putting a hand on my shoulder and pulling me back, quietly saying, "Jug."

I turn to face her, a wave of temporarily relief coming over me when her green eyes meet mine. "There's no point in fighting." she whispers. "Nothing you say will take it back."

I turn back to face Archie, pure disappointment fulfilling my body. As angry as I wanted to be, Archie was my best friend, all I could feel was disappointment and betrayal.

"Please just go, Arch. And tell Veronica to stay away from me too."

He steps forward, his eyes glossy with tears, "Jug-"

I close my eyes, stepping back and putting an arm out. "Just go." My body is turned slightly away as I open my eyes again, giving him a side eye with heavy breath. Betty stands beside me, looking at him in the same disappointment, her eyes like a puppy and her brows furrowed.

He turns around, going towards the door. He looks over his shoulder and says one last thing before he leaves.

"I'm so sorry."

And with that, the door closes shut, slowly as if he was hesitant to leave. The sound of the shut door allows me to let out the breath I was holding to keep myself from punching Archie across the jaw.

I walk towards the Cooper kitchen in frustration, going wherever my feet take me. Betty walks behind me, stepping in front of me and holding my shoulders. "Hey, Jug." she says, earning eye contact from me.

"Are you okay?" she asks, true worry in her eyes. I could also see hurt, hurt from the fact that after years of dating, Archie had gone to Veronica for sex within hours.

My lips twitch into a weak smile the turns into a taut line, shaking my head slightly before looking up to avoid and wiping my nose to avoid tears.

"Oh, Jug." Betty says, wrapping her arms around my waist.

The warmth of her body feels comforting against me, exactly what I needed. I hug her back, resting my forehead on the top of her head and pecking it quickly. She was the only good thing left in my life.

I feel my shirt begin to get damp with what I assume are her tears. I rub the back of her head, holding it tightly under my chin and against me. "It's gonna be okay. We'll be okay." I say.

After a while of staying in that position, she pulls away, chuckling as she wipes her eyes.

"Why am I crying?" she says with a laugh.

"Because you're hurt. It's okay to be hurt, Betts. Don't put up that wall around me." I know she always does - put on a mask as if she is as perfect as can be.

She shakes her head, "It's just incredible isn't it?" she scoffs.  "This morning we were all happy as can be and only mere hours later, our two best friends stab us in the back. And you, I can't imagine how you feel, Archie and I were at least broken up."

I chuckle, "Thanks for pointing that out, Betts."

She makes a face of regret, "Oh my- I'm sorry." she says with a hand on my arm.

"Don't worry, I'll survive. Maybe it's for the best, you know? They both wanted the same thing that neither of us could give them." I shrug, coming to terms with the situation.