- 10 -

jughead

I finish ripping out the page of my notebook that was for Betty's little gift. I wrote her a small poem, nothing special. Just what was on my mind and what I feel should be said in a more special way that just speaking.

I fold it up and put it in a little pink envelope, writing Betty's name on the front. I lick it and close it shut, putting it on the coffee table before falling off to sleep on the couch.

- The Next Morning -

I finish getting dressed for school, putting Betty's envelope in my bad and grab a croissant, pulling the crossbody over my head and yelling a goodbye to my dad. I hop into my truck, throwing the stuff in the back but taking a bite from my croissant as I pull out of the trailer park and head towards Betty's place.

I pull the car in front of her house, standing in front of my door, honking the horn through the window. She hops out of her house, a smile brighter than the morning sun. I don't know how she's so happy this early in the morning. She trots down her steps, her ponytail bouncing and the sun catching the gold in it. She runs to me and bombards me with a hug, I spin her in the hug, then drop her down.

"You're extra cheery today." I smile in wonder.

She shrugs, "Today's gonna be a good day. I can feel it. Fresh start, no... exes in our way." She boops a finger on my nose, running to the other side of the truck and getting in.

I raise my eyebrows, confused by her overjoy-ness, but she had the ability to influence my mood too - and boy was I in a good mood after this encounter.

I get into the truck.

"Ready to go?" she says.

I nod, putting an arm on her chair and looking back as I reverse and then drive forward towards the school.

Once we get to the school, she pulls her backpack back onto her shoulder, reaching for the door handle. I put a hand on her left arm, stopping her.

"One thing before we go in." I say.

She sits straight again, putting her bag down.

I turn my body to the back seats, reaching for my bag. I pull out the pink envelope and put down my bag between my feet before handing it to her. "For you, my lady." I say with a fake british accent and a fancy hand towards her.

She giggles, "What's this, Jug?" She takes it, running a delicate finger over her name on the front before smiling up at me.

"What I wrote you."

She flips it around, pulling on it opening.

"Ah." I stop her. "Read it when you get home maybe. I want you to take it in without having to have any specific reaction towards me."

She bites her lip and nods, "Thank you. I can't wait.' she says, opening the small pocket of her bag and placing it.

She looks back at me with a wide smile. I take her chin in my hand, rubbing it softly before picking up my bag and running a hand on her hair, then getting out of the car.

We walk into the school, my arm falling loosely over her shoulder as she grips my wrist. Maybe today will be better.

betty