- 12 -

jughead

We reach Betty's house, parking my car across the road.

"What if your parents say no?" I ask as we walk towards the house, anxious and feeling intrusive. I didn't deserve special treatment like this.

She turns around, stopping us on her driveway. "First off, they love you they won't say no. Second, if they do say no, fuck em." She ends the sentence with a persistent smile.

I chuckle, I'm not sure why, probably a mix of how adorable she looks along with my nerves.

"Now let's goooo," she says, taking my hand and dragging me up the driveway.

She makes a joke as she unlocks the door with her key, earning a heavy laugh from the two of us which is suddenly cut off when both of us notice Archie at his house next door, getting out of the car with his dad.

"Hey look Arch, Betty and Jug!" we can hear his dad faintly, pointing towards us. I take it he hasn't told his dad about everything. "How are you guys?" he shouts

We plaster a smile, "Good, Mr. Andrews." I respond.

He didn't fuck up, he deserved respect after everything he's done for me.

"Arch, you can head over, no need to ask." We hear quietly.

Archie puts his arm on his dad, whispering. His dad looks back at us, his smile now faded, before looking back at Archie.

"See you later guys." Mr. Andrews calls, turning to their garage and heading in with Archie.

Boy, was that awkward. I can't help the heat I feel in my veins when I look at Archie, not only because he hurt me but also because he hurt Betty. And on top of that, he still stuck around Veronica blatantly.

I turn to Betty, my stomach churning when I see her eyes watering before she blinks quickly, wiping under her eyes and smiling at me before turning back to her door.

"Betts.." I say as we step in.

She shakes her head, making a face as in saying 'not now'.

"Mom! Dad!" she calls out.

I can hear footsteps that reveal themselves to be Alice, Betty's mom.

"Hi honey, oh!" she says, when she sees me "Hi Jughead, how are yo-"

I furrow my brows in confusion when she stops, her face falling.

Betty looks at me with the same expression after seeing her mom react. Oh, right, the fat blue mark on my face.

"What happened?" she asks frantically, looking to Betty and I for an answer.

"Uhm" Betty says, looking between the two of us, "Can Jughead stay here mom?"

"Uh-Yeah, yes of course sweetie but-"

"Thank you." Betty perks, taking my hand and leading me upstairs.

We go to her room, my two hands clamping tightly on my dufflebag. I still feel like I'm invading her space which I don't want to force her to do at all.

She looks at me with a questioning look at playful smile, "What are you doing, gimme that. Why are you so tense?"

She takes the duffle bag and sets in on the floor next to her closet.

"I don't wanna intrude, Betty, really, you don't owe me anything. You've done more than enough."

She sighs, rolling her eyes before plopping her hands on each of my shoulders. "Jug, shhhhhh. You aren't intruding, I just need you to be safe, and this is the only way I can ensure that - having you with me. It's like when we were younger and always had sleepovers, what's mine is yours."