18. He's Alive

"I'm gonna enjoy this Stark" The man he had once counted as a friend said to him. Tony was shoved against the wall. Then Steve took the shield that he must have gotten back at some point, he pressed against Tony's throat. "But don't worry, I'll be merciful. More merciful then you were to me."

He felt the sharp edge dig into his skin. Then Steve pulled his shield back into a striking position, "Hail Hydra," Tony heard. Then everything went black.

 Then everything went black

Day 12

Steve

He pulls the shield into the air. He can feel his hand shaking. He was supposed to kill him, take his revenge, but he didn't want to. He was having an internal battle - Steve versus Captain America. Steve Rogers wanted Tony Stark dead. Captain America wanted his friend alive.

A strange buzzing crept into his head. "месть," he heard. He tried to shake the feeling, to get the voice out. He wanted to stop whatever madness was going on. But he couldn't. The word echoed in his head again and a vicious smile appeared on his face,

"Hail Hydra."

However, before he had even struck, the man in front of him slumped against the wall. As he brought his hand down, a searing pain cut through his arm, startling him and pushing "месть" to the back of his mind. Dropping the shield, he turned his head to see Natasha standing with a gun in her hand.

"That was a warning Rogers," she said in a low voice.

Cap released Tony from the wall, turning towards Natasha with pain in his eyes. "Please," he whispered, "Please help me."

A shock of electricity sent him to the floor in agony. He could hear the voice in his head again. "Come back," it said. "You have failed."

He wanted to refuse. He wanted to stay and find out what was going on. But a shock of electricity even stronger than the first persuaded him to rise, pick up his shield and escape out the window.

He sent one last glance towards Natasha. "Please," he whispered, and then he was gone.

~A~

Natasha

She couldn't breathe, and it had nothing to do with nearly being strangled to death. She didn't know who to check on first. making her decision, she ran to the wall where Clint was still huddled in an unconscious heap.

"Clint," she whispered, placing her hand in front of his nose and mouth.

"Clint, can you hear me?" There was no response, but he was breathing. That was always a good start. Without moving him, she very slowly ran her fingers over his body, checking for any obvious injuries. Everything seemed normal until she got to his head.

A large bump was evident, but at least it hadn't swollen inward. The archer groaned, starting to move.

"Clint," she said, a bit louder. This time he opened his eyes. She allowed herself to feel a moment of relief before moving on. "How are you feeling?"

He groaned again. "Like someone put my head in a blender. Help me up," he said, reaching his hand towards her. She accepted it and lifted him to his feet.

"What happened?" he asked, rubbing the knot on his scalp.

Natasha shook her head. "I'm not completely sure," she said . "Check on Bruce."

While Clint headed to the doctor, Nat kneeled down beside Tony and went through her mental checklist.

Pulse, check.

Breathing, check.

"Tony? Come on Stark, snap out of it."

Tony gave a small whimper, his forehead creasing.

Responsive, check.

"Bruce is fine," Clint cut in. "Just some sort of knockout drug. He seems to be coming around."

"Tony, wake up," Natasha demanded quietly.

He only groaned.

"Tony, wake up before I call Pepper."

He started slightly, opening his eyes.

"What happened? Why am I still alive?"

"You blacked out," Natasha answered calmly. I think.

The billionaire snorted, "Well, last thing I remember, Captain America was ready to behead me with his favourite toy!"

Clint sent Natasha a raised eyebrow.

"I took care of it, " she said in a tone that warned him not to question her. The two men exchanged glances.

"So, where is he?" Clint finally asked.

"I don't know, he disappeared out the window." After having some sort of seizure.

"What happened?" A groggy voice asked.

The former assassin had to admit that she felt some relief now that everyone was conscious and accounted for.

"Lots, " Tony responded, rising from the floor.

Natasha shuddered inwardly. A lot had happened. Too much for her to process; she needed to distance herself from it all. She needed to get rid of the picture of Steve, one of the few people she considered a friend, trying to murder her.

She turned quickly to exit the room. "I need to call Fury."

~A~

Tony

Steve was alive. Not only was Steve alive, but Steve was a Hydra agent who wanted to kill him.

And it was his fault.

Why did it always come back to this? Why did it always end with him being at fault?

Because maybe it was true.

Maybe he would always fail when it counted.

Maybe he was just like his father.

Sorry for the short chapter. 

Hope you enjoyed anyway!

God bless,