25. Waking Up

Hahahahaha

I'm not dead. 

It's been a year since I updated....
But I'm not dead!

So... uh... here's the next chapter....

 here's the next chapter

Day 17

Tony

He was brought to awareness by a slow beeping noise. He reached to his right, silently cursing his alarm clock. Instead of the noise stopping, he felt a pinch in his arm and his hand fall through nothing.

He jerked awake, sitting up and looking around. He was in a hospital room, alone. An IV was attached to his right arm and he jerked it out, doing the same for all of the various wires.

He was fine. He felt fine. Why was he here?

He stopped what he was doing, suddenly remembering with perfect distinction what had happened at the Hydra base.

Oh.

That was why.

He remembered his anxiety attack, though he wasn't completely sure why he was in a hospital bed and not some random couch. That was what usually happened. He was still on the helicarrier, so he couldn't have been out for too long.

Steve.

He was dead.

Tony hurried out of the room feeling light-headed.

Steve had flatlined, and Tony had been there. He had heard it.

Steve was dead. Again.

This was like the Avengers Team and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Month.

How many times could their leader, their friend, die before they finally lost it? Before the team finally fell apart?

He stepped into Steve's room, hearing a heart monitor beeping. A moment of relief washed over him as he walked up to the bed. Steve was alive.

He took a sharp breath. Steve was bad. He looked pale and small. His upper body was wrapped tightly in white bandages, and his head had been shaved.

That was what surprised him the most. Maybe the doctors had... No, it looked like there were a few razor scars along his head. The doctors would have been more careful.

Hydra, then? It wasn't like Tony had seen Steve without some form of headgear since Hydra had taken him. But why? It wouldn't have been just for fun, Tony knew that.

"We found this in his brain." Bruce came up behind Tony, startling him.

In Bruce's hands was a small disk. It was fried. "In his brain?" Tony repeated, taking the small piece in his hand.