Fight or Flight

"It's not dead." 

A ragged human voice croaked aloud as my consciousness returned to the living world, "Guess that raptor of his failed to put him where he belongs."

There was a moment of silence once the voice ceased, then the squeaking of army boots nearby as another voice took flight against the silence.

"In a cage?"

"In hell," scowled the first man, a click sounding as his molded teeth clenched. "That skull wasn't enough to kill this lucky bastard. Missed death by mere inches." He shook his head slightly, pushing one hand against the uneven foils of his silver beard, "God apparently doesn't give a damn if a murderer lives or dies."

What came next was a huff of disappointment, followed by a rather upset voice: "Don't use God's name in vain!"

"The hell I could Will! I have the right to speak my mind, its a free country! There ain't no restraints on my hide."

"If you talk like that there will be."

"Huh." He snorted with amusement, "You are a funny little man, aren't 'cha?"

Another long pause followed his voice, and for a moment I believed the man had silenced the other. The sound of shifting feet soon interrupted the quiet noise around them before the static noise of a small device came forth. 

And then, a voice I never thought I'd hear again.

"How are things down there? I need a report."

Another static: "Still quiet sir, nothing yet. But we'll inform you if anything changes-"

"Doc, doc," the accented man began to speak, carrying a slight huff of mild humor. "You should relax yourself, we tranquilized this thing more than enough times. I mean, I'm already out of ammo. I reckon it's drunk at this point."

"It better be," the voice muttered again. "For your sake. If you two screw up with the delivery I will drain both of your bank accounts and then kill you myself."

"That's..." Will stammered a bit, then smiled. "That's a joke right-"

"Did you send out the blood samples as I've asked for this morning?" the voice returned, ignoring Will's comment. The two examined worried glances then proceeded to speak.

"Y-yes," the man to the right blandly stated, already showing fear to his partner. "We drained the 'thing' hours ago. The package should be on its way, it won't be long sir."

"Good," the doctor's voice spoke approvingly. "And thank you again."

"No need to thank us doc," the bearded man chortled back with a chuckle. "We're just doing our job."

"Don't let me down," the man on the radio called back. "Make sure it stays contained in the cage. If not, set the failsafe. I need its body. If not it's corpse if you must. But do not destroy it-"

"We know, we know, don't ruffle your feathers," the other man called before the radio went silent. Two soft breaths exhaled in the warm room, perhaps due to them being in a momentous trance, all before a sudden noise entered my ears from the human, Will.

"Here's to another day of outward smiles and inward screams."

"You worry too much," the other man groaned, pacing forward, his hand pressing against the iron bars of the cage. I could smell the old skin splitting from his paw, and the scent of cigarettes protruding from his fingers. It was both enticing and disturbing to my snout, forcing me to even reject the consideration of tearing off his hand.