The End

The end.

There are so many phrases to describe this daunting and hideous word:

The final breath.

The last act.

The closing curtain.

The silence yet to come.

It sounded so sudden, so abrupt. For years on end I pondered how soon it would come. I wondered how it would happen. I feared how it would feel. My end was questionable to say the least, though I never realized that I've already experienced it once: upon the horns I impaled myself on. But that would be an understatement given that I've already escaped that fate. 

Now it was back to finish it's job. Death tagged along, too, and the pair began studying my every move from the pits of this wretched hell. 

Now I had a right to be afraid.

All the 'end' brought me was lifelong torture. I watched it take lives, break hearts, and destroy the very creatures I loved most of all. But, perhaps there was a good to it. I knew it meant more than just 'ceasing life' -- it had a purpose, just like me. Sure, the end was an unforeseeable mystery, a scary, unknown knot in the string of life. And yes, it prowled after me like a vulture, waiting for me to fall before it's shadow and watch it cut my string. It knew my fate.

I didn't.

But I also knew nothing lives forever. Even if you were lucky enough to flee the ruins of this world, none could escape the wrath of time. That was the honest truth. Everything's born. Everything dies. The only thing you can leave behind are the memories of your existence... and a warning for the world.

I knew fate was coming for me. I could feel the ticking timebomb within my beating heart. Everything was coming my way. 

Even as I laid there, silent, I began feeling cold, invisible claws stroking over my shadow, soon to still upon the crimson tile below. His breath feasted over the warmth of my torn and mutilated soul, and the blood that gurgled from my poor wounds.

He was waiting for me...

I just had to hold out a little while longer...

It wasn't long after the Indosaurus succumbed to death, his corpse lying motionless upon the gleaming soil while thin pieces of lead dribbled from the impact zone. I tried to move toward him, hoping to reach for something to hold on to, something to grasp. My blood was on fire, and my heart seemed on the verge of bursting into ash. I'd gasped and growl, dragging my talons around like nails to a chalkboard. Strange red froth would gather forth near my maw, and I knew that the poison inside me had reached its limit.

Aside from Death watching me suffer with satisfaction, my mind was riddled with the thought of failure. I had no chance against the human monstrosity who continuously wiped back his jet-black hair and fixed his straight and perplexing suit. But I couldn't blame him for being unstoppable. 

He was my father. He was my maker. He made me into who I am because that's who he is. Now he equaled my strength because I was too weak. There was no other explanation for it.

After killing the previous hybrid his sureness to win began to exceed my own expectations. the doctor would casually wander about, staring at me as if he had all the time in the world. Not even nature's sunlight spectacle could settle his hunger for power. 

Perhaps this is how it should be. Even if the wounds weren't enough to break me, mankind will put me down. But I had to do something, no matter if I were on my last two feet or wheezing past my dying breaths. I couldn't let the scientist slither out so easily, not again.