Chapter Thirteen

Professor Sprout is no longer on duty. Instead, the face of a very put upon Minerva McGonagall greets them when they walk through the main doors of the castle.

She purses her lips at Ron's busted lip and bruised cheek, gives Blaise the look.

"It's not his fault," Ron says immediately, stepping between them. "I provoked him."

Blaise just watches from behind Ron's shoulder as the Headmistress regards them silently. "Follow me, please."

The Slytherin walks behind Ron for a few steps before his hand is pulled and he's suddenly walking in front of him, with Professor McGonagall's back as his foresight. He turns to look at the blue eyes but Ron is just staring ahead, his expression unreadable.

Then Blaise's throat constricts in realization and he wants to cry again.

Here, in the dark of the main corridor, in the middle of the night, between his own capability and the Headmistress' protection, Ron did not only put a target on his own back, but is protecting the one on Blaise's.

Professor McGonagall says nothing about the switch but flourishes her hand as they reach the Infirmary. "After you, gentlemen."

Poppy Pomfrey is attending to a first year's shoulder, presumably injured from Quidditch class seeing as he's wearing the leather uniform that's required. She lifts her eyes when the doors open, just as she's finishing tilting a ladle of medicine into the boy's mouth.

"Minerva," she frowns. "What's wrong?"

The Headmistress folds her hands in front of her and waits for the boys to shuffle in front of her. "Seems as though we've had a bit of a scuffle, Poppy."

Madame Pomfrey's frown deepens. "Ron, what happened?"

Ron raises his eyes and squares his shoulders. "I provoked him, he had every right to land a punch."

The medi-witch lifts a brow. "And you didn't think to call one of us?"

"With all due respect, Madame," Ron's mouth quirks up at the corner. "It's not like he inflicted much damage."

Blaise rolls his eyes from between him and the Headmistress. And then he notices that McGonagall is also slightly smiling. He leans forward to look at her in horror.

"What?" She grins, shrugging a shoulder elegantly. "It's true."

His jaw drops.

"Poppy," her voice rings across the wing. "Have them stay the night. I will come by morning to discuss repercussions."

Poppy nods from the other side of the room. "Goodnight, Minerva."

The Headmistress swirls in her spot and turns to Blaise and Ron. "Boys."

"Goodnight, Headmistress," Ron says, pulling Blaise next to him so she can pass.

"No more fighting," she says quietly. "I think we've had enough to last a few lifetimes."

Madame Pomfrey fusses over them quietly, giving Ron a mild pain potion and Blaise a healing salve for his knuckles. "You know where the water is," is all she says before she disappears behind the door to her quarters.

The wing is quiet for a few minutes, Blaise watches as the healing salve closes the wounds on his knuckles. He sighs. "You didn't have to do that."

"Yes, I did."

Blaise looks to the side where Ron is laying with a hand behind his head and the other over his stomach. His eyes are closed. "I'm not..."

"If you say you're not worth it, so help me, Blaise, I will jinx you. I understand if you don't want to get close to anyone. I understand your have a reputation to protect, as well as a family. I understand if the reason you don't want me anywhere near you is to save your own arse. But for Merlin's sake, do not tell me you are not worth it."