Chapter Fifty-Seven

"Was bringing this many people really necessary?"

Harry rolls his neck away from his book to look behind him at Hermione through hooded eyes. "Wha...?"

"You're not even reading anymore, you're falling asleep."

"Old habits die hard, I see," Draco's voice filters through the cove, and Harry rolls his neck back just in time for Draco to bend down and peck his lips. "You should go back to the Tower. Blaise is most likely about to rip Longbottom's tongue out."

"I can go," Ron pipes up upon hearing Blaise's name.

"No," Hermione sets a hard glare upon him. "You're staying. You and Blaise amount to no good deeds while together."

Draco shakes his head, tucking his book under his arm. He brushes Harry's curls away from his face and smiles at the way Harry's eyes are focused on him steadfast. "You will fall asleep on this table and not even I will carry you back."

"That's harsh," Harry mumbles, but there's a smile spreading on his lips. "You're my mate, the only one I can count on."

"Must be a rude awakening for you, then," Draco grins. He runs his hand through the black hair and leans down to kiss Harry again. "Go on, now. Go check on Blaise."

Harry groans as he straightens up, stretching like a cat while Draco moves around to take his seat again. He looks down the table to Luna, who's nose deep in a red book. "Should I send Neville down?"

"No," she answers airily, her eyes glued to the pages. "I reckon he'll want to stay up there to keep guard. Loves the sense of protecting someone, he does."

"Alright. I trust that you all will go directly back to the dorms after your research is done?"

Ron snorts. "Yes, dad."

"There is someone loose that can disappear into thin air," Draco admonishes softly, sparing a glance up at Harry before digging into the large book in front of him. "We need to keep in mind that whether or not we are in the castle, we are still at danger."

The redhead visibly deflates but nods nonetheless. "Yes, mum."

"Goodnight, then," Harry walks around the table to place a kiss upon Draco's forehead. "I'll see you up there."

Harry's retreating footsteps ring loudly in the empty library, and it isn't until they hear the doors close that Ron speaks up. "Is it just me or did that seem entirely too normal?"

"It's the connection we have through their bond," Luna looks up, her eyes bright and blue and twinkling. "You find comfort in your tribe."

"But...it's supposed to be," Ron pauses, his eyes uncomfortably looking around the table at the expecting eyes.

"Odd?" Luna supplies.

"Wierd?"

"Disgusting?"

"Yes," Ron winces when Draco's neck snaps up from his book. "No. Not disgusting. It's not."

"Well, then?"

"I don't know!"

"How do you feel when you snog Blaise?" Hermione looks at him curiously after posing her question, her head tilting to the side. "When you're around him, how do you feel?"

"Free," the redhead answers immediately, looking away with a stupid smile as he thinks about the Slytherin waiting for him upstairs. "Like I don't have to think about what to do. Or worry about what he'll think of me because I'm just me and he's okay with that. He's okay with everything that's a part of me."