Chapter Fifty-Two

"You can't take that into the Manor," Blaise hisses. "We'll get killed."

"Relax," Harry breathes. He nods over to Ron, who whips out a shimmery blanket from under his arm. "I'm not taking it. I just need it to transport us there."

"A Portkey is detectable, Potter. You can't possibly..."

"We're not using a Portkey. We're Apparating."

Blaise's mouth opens in shock, completely disbelieving that Harry could be that stupid. "Are you mad?"

"Blaise," Harry says patiently. "I can get in and out of the Manor, through the wards, undetected. As long as Draco's magical signature is on the surrounding area, it acts like a trigger. Now, do you have any more questions?"

"What do we do if we get caught?"

"We won't," Harry reassures. "Ron will kick my arse if we do."

"That's true," Ron calls from behind them.

"You realize Draco will be heartbroken."

"It's the only way he won't throw himself into danger," Harry says. "Ready?"

"Clear," Ron calls from the doorway.

Blaise nods after sparing a glance at the redhead, who gives him a reassuring smile. He lays his hand on Harry's awaiting arm, and the last thing he sees is Ron's wink.

He feels the pulls of Apparition, the twisting of his being and rearrangement of his body as they travel through time and space. And all of a sudden he sees the night lights illuminating the Main Foyer of Malfoy Manor.

His lungs seize and he holds his breath, turning to Harry, who is looking around cautiously, seemingly waiting for any sudden movements.

When they don't come, they both exhale in relief, and take a tentative step forward.

"What are we looking for?"

"First, we need to take down the signature reader on the house. Taking it down will activate the spell to see all the people who came through the door from the last time it was renewed."

Blaise nods, choking on air when Harry whips out a wand. "You said you wouldn't bring it!"

"I don't have my own wand," Harry snaps. "And besides, I was the last person who disarmed Draco. Any of his wands are mine, not to forget the bond and whatnot."

"You're going to get me killed," Blaise exhales, putting a hand to his forehead.

"You'll be fine."

The Slytherin watches in amazement as the wand gives under Harry's will, a soft red tendril floating through the end and absorbing a net of blue light. A list of names appear floating before them.

"Rule out Ministry officials," Harry swipes the wand and the list becomes considerably shorter. "Any brokers or lawyers."

He swipes the wand again and only four names are left. Blaise gasps at one in particular. "Lucius Malfoy? How is that possible?"

"Thackery Hazelwind," Harry twists his head. "That doesn't sound familiar."

"Fernus Fugate. And...Thorfinn Rowle," Blaise frowns over at Harry. "Rowle?"

The Gryffindor purses his lips. "Former Death Eater. Come on."

He swipes the list away, deactivating the spell and walks forward with Blaise hurrying behind him quietly. "Thorfinn Rowle is subject to house arrest," he says hurriedly, shaking his head in denial. "There's no way he would have even come close to the Manor without being detected, or the Ministry alerted."