Chapter Twenty-Three

"I've brought you toast and jam because I always see you eat that, but I also brought other things because I didn't know if you wanted something else."

Draco looks up to see Ron with a large silver platter in his arms. He smiles at him. "I appreciate that."

Ron rolls his eyes. "Would it kill you to say thank you?"

"To a Gryffindor," Draco sniffs. "Never."

"Well, you're welcome. And...wait."

Ron looks around and notices there's no lump in the bed.

"Where's Harry?"

"He is getting Evaluated."

Ron's eyes widen and then he furrows his eyebrows.

"I know," Draco sighs, sitting on the bed and picking up a slice of toast. "I told the Headmistress it was blasphemous but she agreed it needed to be done."

"For fuck's sake, he's not a megalomaniac. He went missing! Just because his magical signature is all over the place doesn't mean he's unstable," Ron shakes his head. "Idiots."

"He agreed to it," Draco says quietly, staring at the bread in his hand. "Surprisingly."

"Yeah, I'm not surprised. He's always believed there's something wrong with him."

The Slytherin hums and shakes his head before he goes off on a tandem. He nibbles on his toast again. "How is Blaise?"

"Fine," Ron sighs. "I'm giving him space."

A little laughter bubbles out of Draco. "And how is that working for you?"

"I'm alright. As long as he doesn't feel...pressured or whatnot. I know I can be a little too much."

"You are doing him well. I appreciate the time and effort you are putting into this, despite our...standing."

"I don't," Ron exhales. "I don't know how I'm going to do it. I don't understand what I'm feeling, I just..."

Draco smiles gently. "You have no idea what you are doing but you do."

"Yes!" Ron throws his hands up. "Exactly. And it's confusing? I know that I want to be around him but I know he doesn't understand that feeling. Or he does but doesn't want to. I don't know."

"There is still a lot to learn from each other. Do not fret, Weasley. He will come to you when he's ready."

The Gryffindor sighs, grins at him gratefully. "Thank you."

Draco opens his mouth to reply but the doors beside Madame Pomfrey's chamber are pushed open and a pair of officials are carrying Harry by the shoulders. He stands immediately.

Ron gasps and rushes forward, and Draco keeps his glare to the two burly men dangling Harry about.

The redhead takes Harry and lifts him, struggling backward until he reaches the bed, where Draco helps him lay Harry down.

"Draco," Harry mumbles. His eyes roll back and his hand fumbles up to swat at the Slytherin. "I know you."

"Yes, Potter. We are very much acquainted."

"What did you do to him?"

Ron takes Harry's face and turns it this side and that, and he growls. He stands to his full height, his hands clench by his sides. One of the officials grunts and turns to leave and the other clears his throat.

"Harry Potter is hereby released of any and all Dark Magic. He may continue to nurse his recovery in Hogwarts and may return to classes next term."