Chapter Twenty-Five

It's exactly half past seven when a rushed and out-of-breath Ron Weasley makes it to the waiting room outside of Headmistress McGonagall's study.

He makes a ruckus as he pushes the door open and takes a deep breath, his hands falling to his knees as he takes huge gulps of air. The door clangs loudly behind him.

Blaise Zabini huffs elegantly and snaps his book shut.

"Must you make a habit out of interrupting my reading time?"

Ron grins boyishly at him and stands to his full height. "Must you make a habit of looking impeccable each time I see you?"

The Slytherin blushes darkly and rolls his eyes, turning away from the redhead. "What happened to giving me time?"

"I told you I'd give you space to think. I never said I'd stop getting your attention. Plus, I just gave you a compliment. The least you could do is accept it."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because you like receiving compliments."

"I don't need compliments, I know what I look like."

"I doubt you see what I see."

"And what do you see, exactly?"

"If I told you, you wouldn't be sitting there."

"Pardon?"

"You'd be here," Ron points in front of him.

"What's the difference between that spot and the one I'm currently in?"

"I can't well snog you from there, now, can I?"

Blaise splutters with wide eyes. "Ron!"

"That'll be enough," Professor McGonagall appears out of nowhere, making Ron jump into a stance. She grins. "Mr. Weasley."

"Right," Ron swallows. "Sorry."

She motions for both boys to follow her and turns, walking back down the spiral staircase. "You will be in the East Wing of the castle, in the greenhouses, rearranging the tables for Professor Sprout to be able to teach again."

"That's it?"

The Headmistress turns to look at Ron and arches a brow. "Would you prefer to scrape Thestral feces off the courtyard stone?"

Ron's eyes widen and he immediately shakes his head. "N-No. Plants are good. I like plants."

The three walk in silence the rest of the way, and Blaise doesn't even notice Ron slipping behind him as he looks around the dark hallway at all the sleeping portraits.

Headmistress McGonagall waves her wand and Blaise awes at the shimmering border that domes over them, making the snow that's falling slide down around the perimeter. She waves her hand one more time and the boys feel a slight warmth enter their bones.

Ron is so entranced with the way the shining dome reflects off of Blaise's skin in so many colors that he doesn't watch where he's stepping. All of a sudden, he feels gravity take his ankle and he gasps as his body weight takes him down.

And then, he's upright again, and he looks up to see Professor McGonagall with her wand raised at him, and a slight smirk on his thin lips.

"One must always be aware of their surroundings, Mr. Weasley," she says knowingly.

She makes both of them walk in front of her the rest of the way, Blaise still tucked in the middle like a game of Mouse, still unaware and still oblivious.