XIII

My eyes flickered open. I was in my room, my bed, for sure. Everything seemed familiar. I soon remembered Ally was supposed to be here. I sat up on my bed and my eyes searched for her next to me. 

 Last night, Nalia offered to sleep on the couch so Ally could sleep in our tiny shared bed. 

 But she wasn't there.

 I saw Nalia, who sat on the edge of the bed, most likely on her phone. 

 "She left." Nalia simply says, as if she read my mind. 

 "Really? When?" I ask, forcing myself to wake up for this. "Mmm, I don't know- probably early in the morning I guess." Nalia stretches, her bones cracking. I sigh.

 Damn it Ally.

 I threw my feet over my bed and it hit the soft carpet floor. I then stood up straight, the bones in my legs and hips already cracking. I walked over my to dresser. Laid out next to a clutter of things, was the clothes I had let Ally borrow yesterday. She had it laid out all neat. I stared it with another sigh. I wondered if she had left for school early. 

 "What a friend you got there.." Nalia commented. I turn to her, "You don't know her."

 "Neither do you obviously. I know all your friends. Who was she?" Nalia asks. I wondered if she was even that concerned, she was still on her phone.

 "Someone I wanted to help and someone you should leave alone." I go towards my closet to pick out my clothes for today.

 "Yeah okay whatever. Look, I don't think i'm going to the game tomorrow, I might have to work at this new job i'm getting." She says in a matter-of-fact tone. I take some clothes off and on the hanger, "Yeah, you do that."

 "What, are you mad or sum?" Nalia creased her eyebrows at me. 

 "Not at all, i'm just thinking about something else." I respond. 

 "Oh.." Nalia turns her attention back to her phone. 

 I wondered if Ally went home or if she did something else. While we had our little chat last night, she didn't specifically say but I think there was some trouble she had at home. With her mom and everything. I'm not sure, that's why I can't really say officially. But I had hoped she was fine. She's cooler than I expected.

 Easy to talk to. Plus, I remembered she said I was her only friend. So it's not like I could call anyone else and ask how Ally was doing. But I just tugged on my clothes after a shower, and hoped i'd run into her at school before Dallas or Lorent does.

*

 There I was in school. My dad had dropped me and Nalia off about 6 minutes ago. I had met with Elisha and Yuri almost immediately. But they had ran off somewhere so I was now in the hallway alone. 

 The very crowded and loud hallway. As it always was.

 The sound of shoe squeaks, locker doors slamming, voices yelling excitedly over each other, familiar faces running around. 

 I tuned out most of the voices as I made my way to art class, planning to work on my art project today. 

 I wore my hair in the same blackish-brownish afro it was in, flowery skinny jeans, a pastel pink tee with a denim jacket tied around my waist. My shoes were these black boots that were always my favorite to wear at school. My bookbag on my back and my hands held onto the straps. My eyes roamed around as I walked through the hall.