XXVII

"Ma, do we have to shop for our dresses at the same time?" I argued in the backseat.

My mom looked at me through the middle mirror, "Yes." She answers strongly.

I huffed an aggrivated breath and stared out of the window where I sat. Nalia looked back at me from the front seat, "What, you embarrassed or sumn? You scared?"

"You're annoying, that's why." I respond.

"Shut up whiny. I'm not even gonna be with y'all. Ma said she letting me get mine on my own. We were shopping way before you."
Nalia brags. I clicked my tongue and hiss.

The car ride was leisurely. The road was smooth on the busy street. It was after school and the sky was a clear and bright blue. We passed by dozens of buildings and pedestrians. I clutched my phone in hand. My eyes glossed over every building as my head was cluttered with thought.

"We're here," My mom mumbles as she pulled into the large busy lot of the huge mall just ahead of us.

Cars of every shade were lined up accordingly, and many people were walking from here to there. I'd hoped not to accidentally find anyone from my school anywhere here.

My mom drove slowly as she circled around for a parking spot. I took my phone and put it in the pocket of my skirt. It only had small, minature pockets that barely fit my thick phone case. But it was going to have to work for now.

Eventually, my mom had found a parking spot, and we were out of the car.

Autumn was the best time of the year. Where the day could be as beautiful as it was and sun could be out and shining without anyone dying from dehydration. As three of us walked towards the mall entrance, the cool breeze flew through us like a song.

My mom was taller than all of us, and a bit big boned. Her hair consisted of box braids, which were tied up in a top bun fashion.

My mom had always been my role model. She made sure she looked the best wherever she went and wasn't afraid to show off her blackness. Sometimes, she'd wear traditional clothing. Her natural hair was kind of short so she usually always wore braids.

She was classy.

I wanted to be like that when I grew older.

When we entered the clear glass doors of the mall, soft and gentle perfume hit us like the a storm. The cool lights above us hung and shined. The sound of heels and chatter surrounded us as we passed by many different sets of mannequins, clothes, and shoe displays.
All three of us headed straight for the escalators, knowing the best dresses were up there. 

 As we stepped on, the metal rims moved us upward smoothly.

I held onto the thick rail as we went. I looked around the bottom floor of the mall that we were leaving. So many girls were around. I guess almost everyone had been shopping for their Homecoming dresses the same day.

Soon enough, we were on the second floor; which was alot more spacious than the first.

We all stepped off the escalator and Nalia and I started following wherever our mom went. The dresses so far was a bit formal for my taste.

"Alright Nalia, you go ahead and find what you looking for. Me and Jasmine will be right there in the junior section."
My mom points across from where we were standing.

Nalia nods and takes a credit card from my mom, "Aight." She simply says and walks away.

"Come on, Jasmine." My mom says and begins walking.