XXII

"Okay um..look Jasmine I need you to stay out here for a sec."

 I heard Dallas's shaky whispered words next to me. I snap my head his way, "What?? Are you crazy?" My voice went above a whisper.

 Immediately I flinched, along with Dallas shushing me. 

 We both simultaneously duck our heads under the cushion seat. Dallas looked at me and put a finger over his mouth. I stare back and take a breath, trying to calm myself. But really I was shaking.
My foot was trying to frantically tap against the floor but couldn't cause I was crouched down along with Dallas here.

 Usually that's what I do when I get panicky.

 If my mom catches me here, whether alone or with Dallas, she'll be excruciatingly upset.

 Why? Because. She's a black mom. And black moms would never allow their kids to run to some random mall with some random boy without any sort of consent whatsoever. And the percentage for her consent for that is below -1%.

 Especially when i'm supposed to be home doing the Thanksgiving break packet Auburndale High sent home. 
On the outside she may seem nice and soft-like, but really she was strict. Demanding.

 "Jasmine, calm down." Dallas whispered to me. He gently took both of my arms, wrapping his long slender fingers around them.

 I gave a quick and sharp sigh, "Dude do you not understand why-"

 "Yes I understand you already explained it to me. So if you don't wanna get in trouble, stay exactly right here okay? I'm gonna be back-"
Dallas turned around to leave but I grabbed his shoulder,

 "Where the hell do you think you're going leaving me here?" I whispered loudly.

 He looked back at me, "Uh, do you not see the bright green bedazzled suit that i'm wearing right now?? If you plan on running away with me looking like this we won't get very far."

 I bunched my lips together firmly, giving him a very worried glare. 

 "Just don't do anything noticable and you'll be fine? Okay?" He tried to assure me.

 Very well aware of my breaths, I nodded. Dallas nodded along with me, "Yeah?" 

 "Yeah." I say back. My tone calmer as I looked towards the floor. Dallas gives me one last look before getting up and heading back to the dressing room to get what he needed. 

 Almost as soon as he left, I peek over at my mom. She was looking at the jewelry sets that had it's own section right next to the men's clothing. Which meant she was very close. With each and every step she took, each one was closer than the last.

 Curse this forsaken afro. It's so much that i'm surprised she hasn't really seen me yet.

 "Hi, can I help you ma'am?" A lady came up to her and asked with a polite smile and her hands together.

 My mom looked at her and then nodded, "Yeah i'm looking for earrings uh..they're for Thanksgiving, for my daughter actually. She's not here, she's at home but I was thinking she'd like some sparkly ones?"

 I prayed that she wasn't talking about me, but Nalia.

 "Oh great! Wow, you don't look like you have children!" The lady smiled.

 My mom chuckled, "Thank you..I mean, y'know.." She chuckled again. The employee was about to walk and help find the earrings but she stopped once more, "Oh and again this is for..?" 

 "My youngest." My mom nodded. "Okay!" The lady began walking with my mom following her.

 I was internally screaming.