Prologue

Prologue

~:~:~:~:~

Discaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or any of its original characters.

~:~:~:~:~

I had originally posted this on fanfiction.net, so it's complete! I hope you enjoy! :3

~:~:~:~:~

It was the night Lily and James were murdered. October thirty-first. Halloween. Peter Pettigrew walked down the streets of Godric's Hollow, unsure if the Dark Lord had already been there or not. The street lamps were the only source of light, and he couldn't see more than a few yards ahead, but eventually, he saw piles of rubble where the house should have been. That's when he knew; the Dark Lord had indeed been there. Lily, and James, and their children, were dead.

But then he heard a cry. Peter ran to the remnants of the house and saw something he never would have expected. Clarice Amelia Potter, the tiny young daughter, only a baby, crying out on the ground next to her brother, who appeared to be as dead as her mother and father were. He scuttled over to her.

"C-Claire?" He stuttered slightly. He didn't understand how she, of all people had survived the Dark Lord's wrath, leaving only a blazing scar in the shape of a lightning bolt on her collar bone. She looked at him with wide green eyes. "Y-you have to come with me, sweet heart. C-c-come with me and e-everything will be alright. I-I promise. Things will only get better i-if you c-come with me." She reached for her brother, trying to get Pettigrew to pick him up. "N-no, sweetheart, leave them. We have to go, quickly s-sweetheart, quickly." She stood, wobbly on her small legs. He reached for her and picked her up, running into the night.

~:~:~:~:~

"Peter... Peter... This... Could be used to our advantage." The Dark Lord grinned sadistically, beginning to grin even in his severely weakened state.

"W-w-what d-do you m-mean, s-sir?" Pettigrew asked. It had been almost a full day since the attack at Godric's Hollow, and they had heard word of Harry and his state of unfortunate health.

"Bring her to the Malfoy family. She could be used against her brother one day. Don't tell her who she really is. I'm sure she will figure it out eventually. Think of what Dumbledore will do when he finds out we have the other Potter child to hold against him. She must be raised... As nothing less than a death eater."

~:~:~:~:~

So that's exactly what happened. The little almost-three-year-old-girl's memory was wiped that day, and she was given to the Malfoy family. She'd quite obviously know she wasn't of the Malfoy lineage. But she was, in fact, allowed to know she was adopted. Just not what family she was from. Not until the time was right.

Voldemort disappeared after that, and wasn't to be seen for quite some time. He was weak, be he would come back.... Right under Dumbledore's nose.