Chapter 9

The Determination to Win

~:~:~:~:~

Disclaimer: See Prologue

~:~:~:~:~

It was now the day of the match between Slytherin and Ravenclaw, and I had been successfully avoiding Wood all week, much to Terence's enjoyment. It had been a few days since the Halloween feast, and yet, everyone was still buzzing about how they 'wished the food could be like that every day, and not just on Halloween.' I sat down for breakfast in my Quidditch robes, my heart pounding in my chest.

We had to win this game. I needed that cup, if only to show Wood that my team was better than his.

I tried to eat, but I was so afraid my stomach wasn't going to keep the food down that I could barely manage.

Inside, I was a train wreck. Outside, I was confident, ready, and as Slytherin-like as a Captain like me should be. My team kept making remarks and sneering at the other team, while I kept reminding them that Quidditch isn't just a game that anyone and everyone can dance around and cheat in.

I was sitting, barely eating my fill when I felt someone behind me. I turned around and froze, shocked.

I looked up, and when the shock wore off, I glared into a pair of chocolate brown eyes.

"What do you want, Wood?" I sneered at him. I glanced at Terence, who looked like he was about to throw a punch any second.

"I bet you can't win against Ravenclaw."

"What?"

"I bet you can't win against Ravenclaw. You're probably all kidding yourselves. There's no way your team can win when their Captain - who is also their most important player - was out all last week."

I stood, fuming. "Say that one more time, Wood. I swear you'll die."

"No I won't. Because then your team will be short a player so they'll have to forfeit unless you have a bloody amazing Seeker replacement, someone else will be made captain, and you will go to Azkaban."

I just glared. "What the hell do you want, Wood?"

"If I win, you have to come to the Gryffindor party after our next match."

I was about to punch him in the stomach. "Fine. If I'm right and we do win today, you have to leave me alone until the next set of matches in February."

Terence suddenly brightened, and I could feel his determination increase.

Wood hesitated, pursing his lips tightly. I stuck out my hand. Slowly, he took it. After a moment more in order for him to think, he nodded and we shook on it. The game was on.

~:~:~:~:~

I shook the hand of Roger Davies before heading to the side of the pitch with my team and rising into the air.

I had to wait until we were up by at least fifty points if we wanted to win the cup and make sure Gryffindor couldn't win against us in our match against them - which I was determined to have. I believed it wouldn't take too long with the training we had.

But, of course, I still kept my eye out for the Snitch - just in case.

My team was doing so well... Well, as far as I could see from the the quick glances and the things the commentator was saying. It took us less than five minutes to score our first goal.

I was noticing things about the team I wasn't all too sure that I liked.

Warrington was lagging, almost dropping the Quaffle twice. Montague was a little wobbly as well. Terence hit the bludger, but a few times it missed his intended target because he was hitting it slightly to the left.