Chapter 13

Recap:
An hour later, I woke up just as the plane was landing. I looked out the window and here we were. My mother was already awake. We exited the airplane and stepped onto the ground. It all felt so different. I called a taxi and we took the taxi to the nearest hotel to stay for the night.

**Just a note, this chapter starts the next week on Monday in Lauren's point of view**

Lauren's P.O.V.
The sunlight gleamed in as my loud alarm filled the room. The sound was almost deafening. I groaned as I struggled to turn it off, hitting snooze. After 5 minutes, it began again, almost louder than before as I groggily turned it off and got up. 'Ugh, Mondays', I thought to myself as I got out of bed and sleepily made my way over to my closet getting ready for the day. I picked out ripped jeans and a crop top to wear for school today. After, I rubbed my eyes and made my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I lazily picked up the toothpaste and squeezed out the minty toothpaste onto my toothbrush, beginning to brush my teeth. I then combed my hair and went downstairs to find some breakfast for myself, before finally grabbing some cereal that had been in the house.
***
I arrived at school just 3 minutes before the bell rang. I went to my locker to get my textbooks right before the loud bell echoed throughout the school. I began walking to first period; Biology. I walked down the hall and took a left into my first class of the day. I sat down next to Ally since we shared this class together, which was the only good thing about this class. Ally smiled and welcomed me.
"Hey, Lauren!" Ally smiled and hugged me. I returned the smile as I sat down. Our teacher, Ms. Smith came into class right after.
"Good morning, class" She started as she put her books down on her desk and began to start the lesson.
***
The second period bell rang as everyone packed their bags and the halls would soon be filled like a zoo. I quickly walked out of the class and to the cafeteria where I would usually go to meet Dinah and Ally. I squished by tons of people and quickly made my way there. I finally got there after 10 minutes of being pushed and shoved around the hallways since there were so many people.
Ally and Dinah were already sitting at a table, saving a spot for me as they began to eat their lunch and were lost in conversation.
"Hey!" I smiled as I joined them.
"Hey Lauren!" They said at the same time and took their backpack off the seat they were saving for me.
"What were you guys talking about?" I asked curiously.
"Didn't you hear about that new girl?" Dinah asked in confusion. I hadn't heard about anyone new coming to the school, and I honestly wasn't that concerned about it since a lot of new people join our school every year. It's really not a big deal.
"No, I didn't." I say while shrugging.
"Have you been living under a rock? Everyone's talking about her." Ally added.
"Who is she?" I asked as I pulled a sandwich out of my backpack.
"We don't know, but apparently her name is Camila. Our Math teacher told us since she will be joining our Math block." Dinah said.
"Well, why is everyone talking about her?" I asked.
"We don't know, but I heard rumours that she's hot, like super pretty!" Ally said and smirked at me as I laughed.
"No way, I'm not looking for a girlfriend," I said and blushed.
"Besides, none of my teachers said anything about a Camila." I said while taking a bite of my sandwich.
"Well, today is a day one. Maybe she'll be in one of your day two blocks." Ally shrugged.
"Or she might not be in any of your blocks." Dinah said. I didn't really think much of it, or care since it didn't really concern me as Ally, Dinah, and I continued to each our lunch and talked about other things.

Camila's P.O.V.

Los Angeles is so different from Havana. I mean yeah, it's warm and sunny, but it's just a different feel. I scrolled through my phone before my mother came into the room. Her hair was wet, as she had just taken a shower. Last night was crazy and dramatic. I just needed a break, yet little did I know my mother was just about to talk to me.
"Are you ready to go?" My mother asked as I got up and nodded. We were heading to a school around here since my mother made an impulsive decision that we would now be living here over our long talk about last night. So, that obviously meant that I had to be going to school here, too. I walked down to the hotel lobby with my mother and our Uber was already waiting for us. We got into the backseat of the Uber as the driver drove us all the way to the school.
***
We arrived in less than half an hour. The school was huge, bigger than the school I was at in my hometown. It was so different. I was honestly a little bit nervous. Nobody knew me here, I had no friends. It was like a completely fresh start which is intimidating yet also giving me a feeling of... freedom. My mother smiles at me,
"I know this is scary, Camila. But understand that our new life here will be so much better." My mother tries to cheer me up. I just smiled and nodded at her. I wanted her to be happy, and I wanted to be happy too. We deserved happiness. We walked into the school together. Nobody were in the hallways since everyone was in class. We followed the signs that lead us to the main office. Once we were there, we opened the door and the receptionist lady's head looked up at us.
"Hello, how may I help you?" She asked, looking at us.
"Hello, miss. We would like an application for this school." My mother said as she walked up to her desk. The receptionist picked up a paper from her desk and handed it to her.
"It's very unusual that you'd like an application in the middle of a school year, it's not likely that you will get into this school unless you have a good reason." The receptionist added.
"You may speak to the principal if you would like, they may help you get into this school." The receptionist got up and lead us the the Principal's office.
"Thank you." I smiled as we knocked on the Principal's door.
***
"So, you just moved into town? And the reason you would like to attend this school is because you want your daughter to have an education?" The principal asked, trying to confirm the reason why my mother would like to enroll me at this school. This school was one of the top schools in Los Angeles, it wasn't a private school because we couldn't afford it, but it was a very good school.
"Yes." My mother smiled, confirming the reasoning.
"Well, I would have to talk about it to the other staff, but if we do accept you, we will call you back tomorrow." The principal said.
"Okay, thank you for your time." My mother said and handed our filled out application form to her as we got up and walked out of the Principal's office.
Once we were out, I smiled at my mother.
"So do you think they'll accept us?" I asked.
"I think we did pretty well on the interview." I added and hugged my mother. My mother and I were very always very close and optimists, so we hoped for the best.
"I hope so, Camila." My mother smiled.