Chapter 1

"Run Bri, run, run, run, save yourself." I turned to him and nodded my head. I turned back around and started to run. I ran until my lungs burned. My body begged me to stop but I didn't listen. I ran until my legs felt light. I finally stopped and collapsed. I turned around and saw him. I screamed and begged him not to hurt me. He got closer and closer to my now-shaking form. The ground was cold from the night, damp from the dew that was just forming on the grass. I tried to crawl away from him but I wasn't fast enough. His hands gripped my arms and pulled me back.

I woke up to the sounds of my screams. I felt little beads of sweat run down my face. I looked around my room for him. I heard my door swing open and my head whipped towards the door. I looked and saw a shadow. It was a man's shadow.

"Please don't hurt me," I whispered out. I was paralyzed in fear. As he came closer hot tears started to stream down my face. He reached my bed and pulled me into a hug. I screamed in his chest. "Let me go." All the emotions were coming back from that night. His hold seemed too familiar.

"Bri, it's Ethan." I instantly calm down. I felt his warm hands on my back rubbing small circles. I continued to cry my eyes out. Suddenly I felt my stomach twist. My eyes shot open and I ran out of Ethan's grasp and into the bathroom. I opened the toilet seat up as fast as I could. I felt my throat burn and then everything in my stomach came up. Once I was done, I lifted myself off of the ground and looked at myself in the mirror. I saw the stream of vomit on my sweater. I grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste and I brushed my teeth to get all of the food out of my teeth. Once I was done I put my stuff back and walked into my room. I went into my dresser and grabbed one of my hockey hoodies. I changed out of my old sweater and threw it into the wash pile. I then went back into my bed where Ethan was laying down. He was half asleep. I laughed to myself and pushed him over so I could get in. Once I laid down I turned and faced Ethan.

"Bri are you okay?"

"Yes, I just got too upset." I closed my eyes and I felt him put a kiss on my forehead. His body left my bed and he carried himself to my door. I lay in my bed, replaying the dream in my head. I silently started to cry myself to sleep.

The next morning I woke up to a pounding headache. It felt like someone was taking a hammer and hitting my head. Last night was considered normal for me. Ever since the accident, these nightmares are recurring. I sat up and stretched out my aching body. I then went into my bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste. I brushed my teeth and then I grabbed my brush and brushed my knotted hair. Once I was done I took a good look at myself. The person that was staring back at me was not me. The dark purple circles under my eyes, the pale skin that looked like paper, the cuts, and bruises that still linger from the accident. I turned away before I could see anything more. I walked out of the dingy bathroom that I called my own. The hardwood floor felt like ice cubes on my feet so I quickly walked down the stairs and into the carpeted living room. I sat on the comfy couch that once held my drunken father. The smell of alcohol still lingers here, it seems to be engraved in this house. I was broken out of my thoughts when Ethan walked into the living room and jumped on the couch, right on top of me.

"Hey, Bri."

"What's up Ethan?" He adjusted himself so he wasn't on me anymore. His body felt like bricks weighing down on me.

"Nothing, I was just wondering if you would like to go to the store with me?" I looked at him like he was telling me to jump off of a bridge. Ever since the accident, I haven't left the house. Everyone seems to scare me and I don't trust anyone anymore. On the other hand, I cannot be left alone. I will never be alone again. It brings back that horrid night that I long to forget.

"I guess I will go out with you." He gave me a sympathetic smile and left to go get ready. I slowly made my way up the stairs and into my room. I stood there, staring at my closet. The closet where it all started.