Chapter 16

I woke up surrounded by warmth. The softest material wrapped around my body and swaddled me. I slowly opened my eyes to see a dark room. An eerie feeling washed over me when I didn't recognize the room. I went to sit up but I felt restrained. I looked down and saw thick leather straps laid across my body. My hands were held down by handcuffs and so were my feet. Fear hit me like a truck. Suddenly, the room had no oxygen. The familiar panic feeling seeped into my blood and spread throughout my whole body. I tried to gulp in the air but with every pant, it seemed to get worse. Tears burned my eyes, begging for me to release them. I fought with the restraints making the struggle worse. Sobs leaked out of my mouth and mournful cries were heard in the room. Loud footsteps were heard outside of the room and the door was opened at the speed of light. Light flooded the darkroom and a tall man stood there at the doorway. His fast footsteps toward me made me even more frightened.

"Abbassa I Toni." My heart was in my throat. I had no idea what he was saying. My mind was racing a mile a minute. My panting increased and the man looked worried. His hands found their way into his pocket and he fished out a small brass key. He quickly grabbed onto my wrist and unlocked the cuff. He did the same for my other wrist and my legs. He then stood up and came over to the side of the bed. He played with something underneath the bed and then my body was free from the straps. I immediately curled myself into a ball. He then raised his hand, causing me to flinch away. He grabbed something else out of his pocket and held it in his hand. With his other hand, he reached for my head. I shook my head but he still got a grip. It wasn't painful but it was strong. He then forced the object into my mouth. "Breathe." Tears finally made their way out of my eyes and onto his arm. I felt hard plastic on my lips. He pushed down on the object and a puff of air came out. I realized it was an inhaler and breathed in. The air soothed my lungs and calmed down my tense muscles. He then did it again and this time it helped me get my breath back. He gently laid my head back down onto the pillow and moved away from the bed. He put the inhaler on the table next to the bed and sat back down at the end of the bed. I stared at him wide-eyed.

"W-W-What is happening?" The guy sighed and rubbed his face with his hand.

"You were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Boss wanted you safe so he brought you into a secret safe place." My eyes widened and my heart picked up again.

"Why was I chained up?" He chuckled to himself and looked at me with a sparkle in his eyes.

"You moved a lot in your sleep. Boss also didn't want you to get up and run." I just nodded my head with a ghost of a smile on my face. He gave me a small smile and got up to leave. As he got to the door, my stomach dropped.

"Wait!" He quickly turned around and looked alarmed. "Where are my brothers? Where is my dad?"

"They are out fighting." And with that, he left. I quickly got up to go after him but I heard a lock snap into place. I ran to the door to see it was locked shut. I banged on the door with all of my might but nobody came. I slowly stopped and walked over to the bed. The chill of the room finally seeped into my bones and made me shiver. I looked down and saw the bed was filled with soft blankets and pillows. I let a small smile creep onto my face. I grabbed the softest blanket and wrapped it around me. I sat down on the bed and just looked around. The room was very bare. It was just the bed and the nightstand. There were no windows or anything on the walls. I laid down on the bed and snuggled into the warmth. I found myself closing my eyes and slowly drifting off. Before I could fall asleep, I heard the lock on the door unhatched. I sat up straight away, becoming alert. Ethan's familiar face walked through the door. A huge smile spread across my face. I jumped up and ran into his waiting arms.

"Oh Bri, I was so worried. Oh my, I'm so glad you're okay." He picked me up and wrapped his arms around me. He kept rubbing my back and kissing my head. He walked swiftly to the bed and sat down with me in his arms.