Chapter 13

After a while, I just couldn't take it anymore. So I left the rooftop and went downstairs. After stuffing my coat back inside my locker, I entered the cafeteria that was filled to the brim, hoping to find an empty spot somewhere to eat my lunch in the more comfortable warmth here. I'm sorry, Felix, but I can't eat in such uncomfortable circumstances. Besides, it's not like I left him alone or something. He seems to be on good terms with Hyunjin so I'm sure he'll be fine up there without me.

No hard feelings, I just craved a more pleasant environment to eat my lunch. Don't get me wrong, I really love the rooftop and spending time there. Just not when the weather is like this, a chilly wind and rain that could drop down from the clouds at any moment. Besides that, fallen dead leaves aren't a real blessing to have in your lunch box or hair every minute either.

Unfortunately for me, the cafeteria was packed and there wasn't a place to eat in peace left. So there was no other option than retreating to the locker hall to look for a spot there. After a minute or so, I ended up leaning my back against my locker, casually glancing around the hall while eating my lunch. It wasn't exactly the most comfortable position to eat in, but it was at least better than the cold concrete and chilly wind on the rooftop.

It's actually rather interesting to eat here for a change. Many students spend their breaks here since the cafeteria itself is way too small to fit all the students inside. The hall is filled with laughter coming from many freshmen that are goofing around with their friends and fellow classmates. There are many of them here because they're the first to be cast out when the cafeteria is full. But they don't seem to mind that much, as they're having a good time with their friends.

But then a girl approaches me, her brows knitted together in a tight frown as she beelines towards me. I recognize her as one of my female classmates.  I don't have any recollections of knowing her name, I only know that she's basically the same as the other girls. Basic and mean.

"You," she begins, pointing an accusing finger at me. "I know what you've been doing. Using your best friend to get close to Hyunjin and keep him away from us so you can have him all to yourself. You're pathetic."

I heave out a sigh, momentarily closing my eyes to process the stupidity of this. "Sure," I dryly remark, giving the girl a bored and unbothered expression. "I want to get close to him over Felix' back so bad, that's obviously why I'm eating alone now."

The girl blinks a few time, clearly trying to come up with a bright remark. "Oh?" she questions, planting her hands on her hips. "Don't tell me you weren't sitting with them earlier this break."

"I was," I admit. I allow the corner of my mouth to curl up into a faint smile, completely unfazed by this outraged girl with her false accusations. And even if I would spend time with Hyunjin, that's none of her business. "But you know, maybe Hyunjin was the reason I left. Ever thought about that? Not every girl is as rabid as you."

She gives me a puzzled look, probably unable to process why someone -a girl, on top of that- would leave because of Hyunjin. Doesn't she realize there are normal people out there, people that allow one their personal space and don't obsess over someone just because they accidentally look a bit too handsome? 

But she quickly regains her composure, sending me a scowl and she looks at me with fierce eyes. "You better stay away from him, Lee Chaelin," she sneers. "You have no right to be around him that much."

I groan in exasperation, not even bothering to hide my rapidly growing annoyance and frustration. "Listen for a second, girl," I sneer back at her, adopting the same ferocity as she gives me. "If you want him so badly, stop bothering me and just claim him, for the love of God. He means nothing to me, he's not even a friend. So just do your thing, claim him as yours. I don't give a shit as long as you just leave me alone."