Chapter 51

The news of me and Hyunjin dating spread like an insane wildfire and by the time our last class was over, every single student knew about it.

I don't know what surprised me more; the fact how no one tried to kill me yet -apart from the occasional death glares, nothing happened- or how many students came to congratulate us. Even some teachers did, along with a friendly reminder not to show affection in the hallways. Unless we wanted detention, that is.

A lot of boys approached Hyunjin between classes, asking how he managed to break through my shell. The boy shrugs it off as nothing but it's obvious that he's a tiny bit proud of it. And honestly, it's adorable.

Felix has entered a state of mind far beyond happiness. Our usual sunshine is now close to a solar storm, shamelessly grinning from ear to ear as he walks next to us, gleaming like a proud father.

Me? I'm happier than I ever did before and I think I finally found out what they mean with cloud nine. Now that everything has settled and all the negative stuff with Hyunjin is over, I feel like I can leave a massive part of my past behind me, tucked away in a dark cave to never see the light of day again. Poof, gone forever.

I'm also a little bit worried. Now that basically everyone knows, I have to tell my mom before she accidentally finds out in some way. I'll be dead if I tell her, but I'll be more dead if I keep it quiet and she finds out through someone else.

Fresh air and the small rays of sun peeking through the clouds softly brush my face as the three of us walk outside. Felix is humming a cheerful melody as he skips in front of us and Hyunjin and I follow in a comfortable silence, both smiling at our best friend's happiness.

As soon as we leave the school gate behind us, Hyunjin laces his fingers through mine.

"Chaelin," he calls out and I turn to look at him.

"This might sound really cringy but my mom is dying to meet you." He grins sheepishly and adds, "So if you want, it would be cool if you-"

And then his words come to a halt and Hyunjin sighs. "That sounded lame, huh?"

I ponder over his words for a moment, a small frown setting on my brows. I've never liked meeting new people. There's always that ruckus about the first impression and I feel like there's even more pressure when Hyunjin's family is involved. I'd probably make a fool out of myself or make a stupid mistake that will cause them to hate me.

But I've come to a point where I couldn't possibly say no to his almost pleading eyes. 

"Alrighty then," I mutter, looking at the pavement in front of me.

Hyunjin's eyes light up, and so do Felix'.

"I take that as my cue to leave," my orange-haired friend sing-songs, a smug smirk plastered on his lips. "My girl is growing so fast, I can hardly believe it." 

"Felix, I-" I protest, but he doesn't seem to notice. Does he even mind feeling like a third wheeler? Does he even realize he is a third wheeler? I have a feeling he doesn't. Or he's just too busy with being an overly proud dad, a mood he's been in a little too much lately.

"You're doing great Chaellie," he gushes, giving me a thumbs-up followed by a short wave. "See you tomorrow, hyung."

And then he turns around and I can only stare in awe as his back disappears into the crowd of students leaving for home. I often have a hard time keeping up with his random acts and weird antics but this is entirely from another level.

"He's so random," Hyunjin remarks, looking at me with a half smile.

"You'll get used to it," I shrug.

I don't tell him that it takes years to get used to it and that he'll still manage to surprise you every single time. Which is equal to not getting used to it, now that I think about it. But I remain silent and just nod feverishly to emphasize my words.

The fact that Felix just left me here on spot kind of bothers me but I try my best not to show it. As I walk next to Hyunjin, I can't help but grow nervous. I mean, I'm going to his house to meet his parents which isn't exactly like nothing. At least it isn't to me.

"Before we arrive home I want you to know one thing," Hyunjin suddenly says, his eyes solemn as he looks at me. "My parents divorced a few years ago and I live with my mom."

His statement makes me gasp and I look at him with wide eyes, my mind repeating this sentence over and over. His parents are divorced? He lives with his mother, too? Hyunjin catches my gaze and shrugs with a small smile.

"It wasn't as dramatic as your situation, though," he explains. "My mom found out my dad wasn't as loyal as she though he was and she kicked him out herself.

"I never knew," I mutter, suddenly feeling ashamed of myself. Hyunjin basically went through the same and did he ever act weird? No, it had to be me, being a weird dramatic child with anger and trust issues. Was I just overreacting?

"I can see it on your face, Chaelin," Hyunjin softly says, squeezing my hand. "Don't feel guilty, my mom handeled it completely different than yours. It's only natural that it had a different inpact on you than it had on me."

"That might be true," I counter, "but-"

"Your mom basically ended up with some sort of trauma," Hyunjin cuts me off, his eyes finding mine. "Mine just suffered a heartbreak that healed over time. My mom and I both moved on while you and your mom didn't. Of course you've had a harder time."

"I guess," I mumble. Then I look at my boyfriend accusingly. "You never told me."

"It never really came up," Hyunjin dryly remarks, shrugging his shoulders.

Which is true. I mean, when did I give him a chance to tell me more about himself? There was always some sort of drama blocking any friendly conversations.

"I hope you don't mind, but I basically told my mom everything," the boy continues in a softer tone. I frown, the question already in the air before I even asked it: why?

"You gave me a hard time, Chaelin," Hyunjin explains, staring off into the distance. "I needed to vent before it became too much for me."

Pang. Guilt surges through me as I give the raven-haired boy a pained look. I could've known that it wasn't easy for him but now that it's put into words, it stings even more.

Being as observant as he is, Hyunjin notices immediately and a small smile plays on his full lips. "My mom is a very loving and understanding person and she always wanted to help you. And she did."

"How?" I ask, slightly confused. For as far as I know, I never met his mother.

A cheeky grin spreads over the boy's face as he says, "she gave birth to me." Then he lets out a soft giggle, his eyes turning into sparkling questions.

But I don't laugh at his joke. Instead, I tilt my head as I look at him. "That really helped a lot," I genuinely tell him.

Hyunjin gently squeezes my hand and his grin turns into a sweet smile. "You'll like her, Chaelin," he softly says. "And I'm sure it'll be mutual."

I didn't even notice the change in scenery during our conversation. But suddenly we are in front of a bright red front door. Hyunjin inserts the key inside the lock and before he turns it, he gives me an encouraging smile.

Here goes nothing.