Chapter 16

Friday arrived faster than I thought it would.

And a lot more has happened than in all the previous weeks together. Ever since Hyunjin transferred to our high school, not a day went without anything related to drama.

Hyunjin was there a lot, always being nice to me in a way where it's starting to freak me out. I mean, it's unnatural, right? Even though it doesn't seem to be forced, the boy always seems genuine when he's acting nice. Even my best friend isn't that nice and helpful, it all comes from a boy that I don't even want near.

He seems unfazed by my attempts to scare him off. Or he's just oblivious to the signs I'm giving him. Maybe he's even ignoring them on purpose, I really don't know what's going on inside his mind, what he's thinking. Every time I lash out at him, turn him down and shoo him away he leaves, only to come back later with a newfound energy. Always there to help me, cheer me up even though he doesn't even know me, cracking jokes even though I'm a total bitch to him.

Acting like a friend even though he is my enemy.

It makes me wonder; why is it that he keeps coming back? He doesn't know me, has never seen the nice side of me. I haven't been nice to him, not even once. And yet he never gives up on acting nice to me. Why? What is it that makes him so eager to get close to me? I don't understand and it's freaking me out. Until now, a lot of boys tried but they never came back after I harshly turned them down only once. It's my only defense, my only way to keep them at the desired distance. But it doesn't seem to affect Hyunjin and I can't figure out why.

If I was him, I wouldn't want to come near me.

The past few days confirmed what Felix has said earlier, about friendship at first sight. It really exists, or so it seems. Hyunjin stuck with us and I can only guess that it'll stay like this. The two boys grew a lot closer in the past few days, despite the fact that Felix has a not-so-nice friend; me. The new boy doesn't seem to care a lot.

Friendship at first sight. Maybe it's a common thing, I don't know. But it definitely isn't for me. I experienced it only once, when I was young and naive. When I met Felix for the first time, at kindergarten, I don't even know what happened but we've been best friends ever since. I never felt the urge to make more friends and soon, my dad had to ruin everything, changing me into a lone girl that doesn't trust anyone anymore. Maybe that's why friendship at first sight doesn't work for me.

Deep in thoughts, I make my way to my locker. It's relatively empty in the locker hall. We had to stay after class to clean up the Biology lab after a practical lesson so most of the students already left. The last class ended about thirty minutes ago so there are hardly any students left. It makes sense, no one would stick around voluntarily on a Friday afternoon.

I quickly retrieve the key from my bag to open my locker. But as soon as I unlock the bright yellow door, it flings open and half of its contents scatter to the floor with a lot of noise. I jump back in surprise and curse under my breath before I bend down to collect the stuff, mentally scolding gravity and all the laws that cause items to fall down.

As I reach out to a book a little further away, my fingers accidentally graze something warm. My head jolts up, only to come face to face with the boy I didn't want to see. With a startled yelp, I scurry backward, dropping a few books in the process.

"You know, books don't usually belong on the ground," Hyunjin jokes with a lopsided smile.

"I don't need your help, Hwang," I hiss, quickly grabbing some pencils and notebooks and stuffing them in my bag, not even minding about possibly damaging them. Frantically, I reach out to grab everything before Hyunjin can even think about helping me. My housekey, cell phone, charger, wallet. All while trying my best to ignore the presence of the raven-haired boy, who is observing me with an amused twinkle in his eyes and my math textbook still in his hands.

"Sucks for you, Lee. I still did." With a chuckle, he hands me the book and I hastily stuff it inside my bag, refusing to look at him. Too embarrassed by the fact that I'm beet red by now. From anger, I suppose.

I quickly raise to my feet, dusting my knees and zipping my bag shut. Everything about this situation pisses me off. From the books falling from my locker to Hyunjin coming to help me. I hope he doesn't expect a thank you because I'm getting out of here as soon as possible. It's not like I asked him to help me.

Hyunjin's never faltering smile confuses me. The fact that a part of me doesn't want to walk away just like that confuses me even more. I can't help but give him a wary look as I put on my jacket.

I don't trust him.

Ignoring the part of me that screams to say at least goodbye to him, I turn around on my heels before I walk off, looking for Felix. I don't miss the little sigh Hyunjin lets out before he walks away as well.

It doesn't take long to find him, waiting for me at the school's exit. His chin is dug deep inside the collar of his coat and he doesn't look too amused but his face lights up as soon as he discovers me walking towards him.

"He's such a persistent brat," I chide before he can even open his mouth to greet me.

Immediately, his smile falters and the twinkle in his eyes disappears as he sighs. "He might be persistent, Chaelin," he starts, his tone stern as if he's scolding me. "But you are the brat here.  You keep turning him down harshly while he just tries to be nice. He doesn't know your past so to him, it's probably like you're just being mean for no reason. It really surprises me how he's still trying to approach you." His brown eyes soften a bit as he continues. "He did nothing wrong, Chae."

I just remain silent, thinking about Felix' words. I know he's right, I know I shouldn't be mean to Hyunjin like that. But I feel like it's my only defense, the only way to keep anyone at a distance. Act nice and people will start to think that you're friends. There used to be a time where I would reject boys a lot nicer than I do now. But experience learned that it wasn't effective. They never took my words seriously and always came back for a second attempt, and then a third.

"Look, Chaelin," Felix sighs, brushing some strands of hair away from his eyes. "If you want him to leave, just ask him nicely. Maybe even explain why you don't want him near. Hyunjin is a good kid, I trust him. If you really don't want him around, at least explain to him why and I'm sure he'll understand."

I slowly nod a few times. I hate being scolded by my best friend but he might be right. All it takes is one friendly conversation with Hyunjin and then it's over. Then I can continue without feeling cornered by him.

"Hyunjin and I are going to the zoo tomorrow," Felix randomly states as we're walking in silence for a while. "He wanted to ask if you would come but that apparently didn't go too well. So I'll just ask you instead, wanna go to the zoo with us?"

No, my mind screams. But I'm confused. Why does he wants me to tag along when they go out? What does he want? What is his goal? Why does he want someone like me to go with them? I'm about to decline the offer with a stunned laughter. But something stops me.

I like the zoo.

It won't hurt, right? If I just ignore and avoid Hyunjin as much as possible and focus on Felix and the animals it will be fine. I mean, Hyunjin will be mainly focused on the animals, too. I think it's safe to go. Do it for the zoo.

"Fine, I'll go," I answer.

Felix' eyes widen in surprise before he gives me a grin with boyish enthusiasm. "That's great, I'll text you the details later."

The entire walk home, Felix is bursting with enthusiasm and energy, telling me numerous times how fun tomorrow will be. I just hesitantly agree with him. But in reality, I can only worry about what I've gotten myself into.