Chapter 48

The next day, there was no one waiting for us and a certain boy also kept his distance during classes, refusing to sit anywhere close to me. I know it's my fault and it affects Felix, too. His friend is avoiding both of us now and it's my fault. But the orange-haired boy doesn't seem too bothered about it, probably because he knows about a really important talk that will take place soon.

I'm nervous to the bone, I can't sit still properly and focusing on the lectures is next to impossible. I don't know what lies heavier on my nerves, the fact that I'm about to confess to Hyunjin or what Felix mentioned about a freaking kiss. They both drain the color from my face.

Felix won't stop pestering me with his smug grins and comforting pats on my back, but to be honest, they only make me more nervous. They emphasize that something is about to happen and make it impossible to forget.

This is the last class before the lunch break, and that's when I will strike. I don't think Hyunjin is going anywhere near our usual table and he'll probably head off to eat somewhere alone, for how long that alone will last if I don't show up. I bet there are still tons of girls lining up for him so I have to be fast. I have everything planned out to the point of perfection. I've already messed up enough times and I don't want to do it again.

I'll follow him out of the classroom. Not too obvious, but from a small distance. Then, when there are fewer students around, I'll catch up with him and force him to come along with me to the rooftop because no one interrupts me there. And then I just tell him, I guess?

As I run over my plan for the umpteenth time, I'm starting to become frustrated. What if I screw up big time and create a bigger mess than everything already is? What if he sees me and runs away from me? I wouldn't blame him but it would be a bit inconvenient. I'm slowly going crazy and I mentally curse the time for passing so slowly.

I wish I had a freaking ocarina and could make the time go faster.

"Unfortunately, I have to let you go early today," our teacher announces after working in silence for a while. "The principal wished to see me so I can't entertain you any longer." With a wink, he dismisses the class and my heart takes a leap.

Felix gives me one last encouraging nod and I rush from my seat, knocking the chair over in the progress. But I couldn't care less at this moment, I have a mission. I have to follow Hyunjin before he disappears from my sight since he doesn't have any intentions to wait for us.

I roughly push past the students, muttering a few sorry's here and there as they stumble in all directions. They already hate me anyway, don't they? I have some matters to fix and it will happen right now.

I faintly recall something about waiting for the students to disappear from the hallways before I would call out to the raven-haired boy in front of me, but I just can't hold it any longer.

"Hyunjin!" I call out, my voice more like a weird banshee shriek at this point.

He turns around, along with many other students that momentarily stop in their tracks. I run up to him and ignore the fact that his questioning look is the only form of greeting. His arms are crossed in front of his chest and suddenly, I feel like this is a bad idea.

But I'm not stopping.

"Hyunjin," I say again, grabbing his hand to prevent him from walking away. He genuinely looks like he wants to and I don't want that to happen. Not when I finally got everything straight.

"What's it, Chaelin?" he asks. His tone is neutral and I'm grateful for that.

"Can we talk?" I softly say, my tone quiet but steady.

Hyunjin frowns, those perfect black brows knitting together and wrinkling his forehead. He solemnly looks at me, his brown eyes quietly taking in everything, as if he's looking for anything that might hurt him again. And for the first time, I let myself admire the boy in front of me, how freaking beautiful he actually is when he looks at me with those deep brown eyes.

"We're on speaking terms again?" He genuinely looks surprised and it hurts just a little bit, even though I know I did it all myself and I'm not the one to feel sad about this all.

"We've never been off them," I defend myself, my eyes never leaving his.

"Didn't look like that," Hyunjin huffs, being the first one to look away. Instead, he looks at our connecting hands and he smiles wryly. "You're confusing me."

"If you just come with me I can clear everything once and for all," I explain, giving the boy a pleading look. Something in his eyes becomes softer and he slowly nods.

"I can't possibly say no to you, even if I wanted to," he sighs.

I have no idea what he means with that but for now, I'm glad he wants to hear me out. I feel like I don't deserve another chance and it means the world to me that he's still willing to give me one.

"Rooftop," I order, and he follows obediently.

Our walk is quiet but I don't mind at all. I let my mind run over everything I want to say for one last time. I don't want to screw up this time. Am I nervous? Definitely, I totally am. My hands are shaking and my legs turn more into jello with every step I'm taking. Felix' words keep echoing through my mind. Don't be too surprised if he suddenly kisses you.

How can you possibly prepare yourself when there's a risk of being kissed?

The students we come across in the hallways become fewer and fewer. I still hold onto Hyunjin's hand tightly and it feels like some weird kind of support. I ignore the weird looks the few students give us, some of them even throwing catcalls into the game. I won't let anything bother me until I've done this properly. I have no idea where the sudden determination comes from, but I'll embrace it gratefully before it disappears.

We reach the door leading to the final stairs. I glance around and then I swing it open, dragging the boy behind me as I climb the stairs. When we reach the flat surface of the roof, a strong wind greets us. Our hair is a mess within mere seconds and I wonder how Hyunjin still manages to look this handsome when his hair is basically a bird's nest.

"So what did you want to talk about?" the raven-haired boy asks, looking at the grey clouds above us with concern filling his eyes.

"Listen, Hwang Hyunjin," I begin, keeping my voice firm and confident. I reach out to grab his other hand and when I'm holding them both and I have his full attention, I suck in a deep breath.

"I think I am in love with you."

--

FOURTH UPDATE

There's a reason for me updating this much today. I'll be starting an internship tomorrow and I have no idea how often I'll be able to update. This is my way of making it up to you in advance, I really did my best to provide you with some good chapters today.

I love all of you, you make me happy 💗

Also... 60K dhgdgdgshh