XI

Phantom squirmed under the scrutinizing glare Batman set on him.

He hadn't done anything wrong, right? He panicked. Was sitting on the couch wrong? Could he only sit with the others around? He opened his mouth to apologize but Batman cut him off.

"I hear you had trouble with the shower this morning," Batman spoke, finally breaking the silence. "Did you shower at all this week?"

"N-No?" Phantom gave Batman's chin a confused look. He opened his mouth to ask a question but closed it again. Could he ask Batman questions?

"Ask your question." Phantom jumped at the sound of Batman's voice. How had he known?

"W-What's a shower?"

"It's when you- Nevermind, if you survived the week without one you don't need to take one now. But if you start to stink up the cave I will have Robin teach you how to use the bathroom." Batman placed his elbows on his knees as he sat forward. Phantom bit his lip as Batman narrowed his eyes. Did he do something wrong in a matter of seconds?

"I-I'm sorry," Phantom squeaked as he covered his head to protect it.

Batman sat up straight, scowling deeply at the sight of the boy. "What are you doing?"

Phantom peeked through his fingers, green eyes glistening with unshed tears as he timidly spoke, "I-I thought I did something wrong b-because you were staring at me."

"You did nothing. I was just thinking." Batman scowled as he got up from the seat. Phantom breathed a sigh of relief as he slowly uncurled himself from the protective position. He shrieked when a hand brushed his shoulder, scrambling off the couch as he tried to stop his racing heart. His mouth moved before his brain could catch up, nerves fried as his heart beat unevenly in his chest. 

"I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean-mean to do it. Please don't-"

"Phantom." Phantom jumped at the voice, whimpering when two arms wrapped themselves around his waist. "You're okay, you're fine. You're in the cave right now, standing in the living room. Where are you?"

"I-In the cave, st-standing in the living room w-with-"

"It's Robin. Can I let go or are you going to panic again?"

He was asking him? "Phantom?"

"U-Uh," Phantom's brain was still trying to calm down as he evened out his breathing, "yeah, yeah you can let go."

Phantom smiled shyly as Robin placed two hands on the boy's shoulders. Robin returned the smile and let go, turning to see Wally zoom into the room. Phantom flinched, stepping behind Robin as Wally stopped in front of the two. Just as Wally was about to open his mouth Phantom's stomach growled loudly.

The boy blushed as he looked away. "S-Sorry, Wally."

"For what? Being hungry?" Wally joked as he bumped shoulders with the boy. "Do you want something to eat?"

Phantom shook his head. He would rather be hungry than risk asking for food. They had just given him food lately, just like the agents had except his food hadn't been dosed with something yet. Robin sent Wally a worried look and Wally turned Phantom to face him.

"You can ask for food, we won't punish you for eating. Remember, you're part of the team now, start acting like it." Wally made a fist and raised it. Phantom's eyes grew frighteningly large. They had promised not to hurt him. He flinched wildly, scrambling away as he cowered on the floor.

"I-I'm sorry. I-I'll act better. I-I can d-do it. Please do-don't hit me. I-I didn't mean to do a-anything t-to offend you. W-Wally, p-please," Phantom's voice broke as he pleaded with the boy. Tears streaming down his cheeks as his body went through tremors on the hard floor.