XIII

"Team, you have a mission." The group of teens shared a look. They hadn't been on a mission since they rescued Phantom.

"Yeah!" Wally's fist pumped the air. He'd been itching to be out in the field again. Now was his chance to use up some of his pent-up energy.

Batman flicked his eyes to Danny. "Danny, could I see Phantom for a moment?" Danny blinked. Batman was even being nice. W-What was happening? The boy nodded, quickly changing into his ghost-half with ease. Phantom waved shyly at the tall man, gulping as he watched him walk over to the computer.

"Your mission is to stake out this facility." Batman pulled up an image of the building. It was surprisingly modern looking. Sleek white brick covered the exterior of the rectangular warehouse. Red accents were placed along the door and windows, almost like Superboy's room in Phantom's opinion. "We have reason to believe that this warehouse is a cover for the new-" Batman glanced at Phantom's bright eyes. He felt his stomach twist as he continued speaking, "- GIW facility."

Blood rushed to Phantom's ears as he tried to process what Batman had said. GIW sounded vaguely familiar as he stared blankly ahead. Bile rose in his throat but the constricted muscle managed to keep it down. The team watched as Phantom paced, breaths coming in sharp gasps as he tried to process the information. Robin moved over to the boy, not hesitating to help. Robin gently grabbed the boy's wrists, bringing his green eyes to his own domino ones as he rubbed his thumb over Phantom's knuckle.

"Robin," Phantom whispered, trembling with suppressed sobs, "I-I don't wanna. I don't wanna go. Pl-Please don't order it. I'll ha-have to if you make it an order. I-I can't."

Robin glanced at Batman and he nodded. "Shh, it's alright, Phantom. No one is going to order you to do anything. You don't have to go, okay? You don't have to go if it's too painful." Phantom sank to the ground with Robin, wailing loudly into the crook of the boy's neck as Robin soothed his friend. Robin rocked the boy gently, trying to coax him into going to his room so the others could finish briefing.

"Will you stay? Please?" Phantom pleaded, tears flowing though he wasn't audibly crying anymore.

"Of course," Robin assured as he squeezed the boy's hands. The two walked down the hall, the pad of footsteps the only sound they made as Robin led the boy into the room. Robin watched as Phantom curled up on the covers, body trembling as he sobbed. Robin climbed onto the bed next to him, running his hands through the boy's hair as he cried.

Robin bit his lip. He didn't know how to further comfort the boy except being by his side. Robin's mind wandered as he kept running his fingers through Phantom's hair. He eventually found his mind settling on his parents. Specifically his mother. As Phantom cried Robin began to hum the tune to the old Romani lullaby. Phantom sniffled, sobs dwindling as he moved closer to Robin. Biting his lip, Phantom placed his head in Robin's lap, trying to stay warm as tears flowed down his cheeks.

As Robin sang to the boy his mind was brought back to his mother. He peeled off his mask, quickly slipping on sunglasses as he followed Batman's wish. Tears slipped out his eyes before he could stop them, landing in Phantom's white hair as he finished the song. Robin wiped the tears away, watching as Phantom's breaths came out even. Robin sighed, leaning his head on the headboard as he closed his eyes.

---

Phantom woke an hour later, drained and stiff as he yawned. Robin quirked an eyebrow as he kept his eyes closed. Phantom gently poked Robin, jumping back when he raised his eyebrow.

"I-I didn't know i-if you were asleep," Phantom said as he blushed. Robin shrugged, unbothered by the gentle waking. "T-Thank you."

Robin shrugged again. "No problem."