XXXI

Phantom scrambled backward until his back hit the wall, his chest rising and falling in quick succession. He curled tightly and whimpered, pulling his hair as the person neared him. 

"Phantom?" Dick's voice cracked as he crouched. "Is it really you?"

Phantom whimpered as the lights flickered to life. Quick footsteps padded across the floor until two voices sounded. He covered his ears, trying to drown out the noise as his blood pounded. "I'm sorry," he cried. The voices stopped and he tensed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bother you, Robin. Please don't send me back. Please don't send me back. I was just leaving," he stammered. "I'm sorry to bother you. Please, don't send me back to them."

He peeked through his trembling fingers to see Rob- Dick standing with a look of shock and fear. Phantom's eyes fluttered as something pricked his neck, his body slumping as the sedative entered his bloodstream. 

Dick flinched as Bruce picked the boy up like a limp doll. His mentor turned to him. "I'll bring him back to his room. Go to bed, Dick. I'll explain everything in the morning."

Dick nodded dumbly and trudged up the stairs. He swallowed dryly as he rocked on his bed, knitting his brow as he massaged his temple. Phantom was in the manor... Dick blushed at the close proximity he had with the young ghost. He shook his head and shuffled under the covers. He would think better in the morning. Dick frowned. He hadn't even had a chance to warm the milk. 

Dick's face scrunched up as the sound of drawn curtains reached his ears. He draped an arm over his eyes as sunlight attacked him.  

"Master Dick," Alfred pulled the covers off the boy and he shivered, "Master Bruce would like to speak with you about last night. He's waiting in the downstairs office."

That woke him up. Dick jumped out of the bed, throwing Alfred a backward glance as he slipped into his slippers and rushed downstairs. He knew it wasn't a dream; Phantom was in the manor and he'd seen him last night. Guilt twisted in his gut and he slowed his walk. The ghost thought he'd wanted to send him back. He glared at his blue slippers as he rapped on the office door. He'd explain it to Phantom later. The boy would forgive him and everything would be back to normal. 

Dick steeled himself with that thought as Bruce invited him in. He picked at his cuticles as he sat on the nearest armchair. "Was he really here?" he asked in lieu of a greeting. 

Bruce intertwined his fingers and placed them on his knee. "Yes," he replied gruffly. Dick wanted to melt into the chair with relief as he took a deep breath. "You were sleeping after the trial when Tim and Wally found him."

Dick tilted his head and stared at Bruce. "He was here for days?" Dick rose to his feet when Bruce nodded. "And you didn't think to tell me!"

Bruce glared at him until Dick sat down, defeated. "It was my decision not to tell you until you had recovered from dealing with Wilder." Dick shuddered at the name and Bruce frowned. "If I had had Tim or Wally tell you Phantom was here, what would you do?"

Dick slumped in his seat as he crossed his arms. "I would rush into the room without assessing the situation."

Bruce brushed his pajama pants off as he stood. "Exactly. Wally already did that and the boy passed out. Imagine how bad it would've been had you rushed in."

Dick ran a hand through his hair and nodded. "When can I see him?"

"When you've assessed the situation," Bruce responded. 

Dick couldn't help the smile that tugged on his lips as he left Bruce in the office. Dick downed a glass of water and a piece of toast before tracking down Alfred. "Hey, Al, I was wondering if you could help me."