XXX

Phantom slowed as the horizon of a city came into view. He floated in the air as he looked down at the city that seemed to be dark even though it was a sunny day. He flew lower, green eyes scanning over the people rushing through the alleys and down the crowded streets. 

"Where are we MINA?"

"One moment," the mask sounded. "We are flying over the city of Gotham. There is an abandoned building on the outskirts of the city that is scheduled for demolition tomorrow. Would you like to stop and rest there?"

Phantom nodded and followed the path the AI highlighted. His boots sent up a plume of dust when he landed on the roof and he waved it away with his glove. The sun was blocked by clouds as the rain began to drizzle. Phantom wrinkled his nose as the cold wetness set into his suit. Phantom glided down to the sidewalk and began trekking through the city. He couldn't recall if he'd ever heard of this city, but something in the back of his mind kept nagging at him. 

Then he saw it. 

Blazened on a large screen on the side of a building was a blurry shot of a boy as he stepped out of a sleek black car. Even with the low-quality image, he recognized his once-friend. Robin looked different though. As Phantom stepped closer to the picture, he noticed the lack of cape and mask. He didn't even have his sunglasses on. Phantom's eyes widened when he realized this was Robin's identity. 

The name 'Dick Grayson' and 'Trial of Ren Wilder' flashed across the screen before it changed to an ad about the newest shoes. A car honked at him and Phantom jumped. 

"Get out of the road, dumbass!" The driver shouted. 

Phantom jumped back onto the sidewalk, a bright blush coating his cheeks as the flow of traffic resumed once more. Phantom shook his head as he pushed his damp hair out of his eyes. He wouldn't try to find Robin. Or Dick. Whatever. The boy obviously didn't want him around anymore if his attitude when Sir came to "pick" him up showed anything. He couldn't ignore the gaping hole of hurt in his heart as his thoughts spiraled. Robin didn't want him anymore, and he'd run away from his only home.

Where was he to go now? 

Phantom shivered at his lack of options as he focused on staying out of the road. As the sun began to set and the passerby dwindled down, Phantom found himself back at the abandoned building. He walked through the locked door and floated up to the rafters. His ectoplasm was soft and buoyant, pliable enough for him to make a sort of hammock in the rafters. As Phantom settled down for the night, the door was kicked open and three men stomped inside. 

The boy dimmed his natural glow as he stared wide-eyed down at the men. They were burly and covered in rags, conversing quietly in the echoing building. Phantom shrugged and shifted back into the hammock. If they didn't bother him, he wouldn't bother them. It wasn't like he owned the place or anything. 

Phantom turned onto his side when one of the men pulled out a gun. Phantom watched as he displayed the piece, showing off the intricate panels and adjustments. The ghost's eyes widened when he noticed the model the GIW used to test out weapons on him. He barely managed to dodge when all three men turned their guns on him. The blasts took out the rafter he had just been laying on, turning his hammock into dust as he landed on the ground. 

Phantom groaned as his stomach connected with the concrete floor. He rolled out of the way of an incoming shot, falling through the floor as he regained his bearings. "MINA, how did they find me?"

"I'm checking now."

"Check faster! I don't understand," he whined. 

Phantom hopped back to the main floor, sending a kick into the back of one of the agents as he returned to the view of the naked eye. Another spun around and fired a shot that clipped his side. Phantom doubled over in pain, gritting his teeth as he put up a shield. He cried out as he spun around to see another agent behind him. He shifted on his feet, ignoring the fire crawling along his back as he Wailed at him.