Special - Danny vs. Phantom

Wally yawned as he shuffled into the kitchen. "Hey, hot stuff."

"Wally," M'Gann wiped her hands on her apron, "what do you want for breakfast?"

"What are you making?" Wally asked as he sat on at the island. 

"I could make toast and eggs, I guess," M'Gann said as she bit her lip. "It'll be simpler than making a big extravagant meal. Is that good- Phantom, I need a second opinion on this. Are toast and eggs good for breakfast?"

"I don't really like toast, M'Gann," he said softly. He grabbed an apple and walked out of the kitchen.  

"Oh, that doesn't help," M'Gann muttered. "I guess toast and eggs it is, but no toast for Phantom. Alright," M'Gann clapped, "let's begin."

Wally hopped off the stool and gave M'Gann a mock salute as he left. "Woah," he said as something collided with his chest. He looked down into blue eyes and smiled. "Hey, Danny, what're you up to?"

"Uh, well, M'Gann just-"

"Oh! Go tell her what you want for breakfast. I could do it for you. Do you like eggs and toast?" Wally asked as he stretched.

Danny blinked as an idea came to mind. He smiled widely. "I love toast! Just put it on Phantom's plate, he won't mind. And make it extra burnt, I love that." 

Wally nodded and sped away. "M'Gann!" She jumped, using her telekinesis to grab the plate before it could shatter on the ground. 

"Why are you yelling, Wally?" She asked as she placed the plate beside the toaster. 

"Danny wants toast, like really burnt toast, and he said to put it on Phantom's plate." 

"But Phantom doesn't like toast."

"He doesn't?" Wally shrugged as M'Gann shook her head. "Well, I guess... still give him burnt toast? Maybe he got mixed up."

"Maybe," M'Gann muttered as she twisted the dial on the toaster and dropped a new piece. "Wake the others, breakfast won't take much longer." Wally gave her a thumbs-up before speeding off to the rooms. 

"Hey, Phantom," Robin greeted. The boy waved as he ran up beside him. 

"Morning," he chirped. "Sleep well?"

Robin waved him away. "Same as always. Wally says breakfast is ready, let's go." Phantom hovered after Robin on their way to the kitchen. He swung his legs as he settled onto the stool, cupping his chin as Robin talked with Aqualad, and Artemis teased Wally.  He smiled at M'Gann as she placed a plate in front of him. Phantom tilted his head as he wrinkled his nose at the sight of almost black toast. He opened his mouth to tell M'Gann, but he bit his lip as she smiled. 

It's just bread, Phantom thought, it won't hurt me. He picked at his food until only the toast was left. His movements faltered and his hand froze in mid-air. He shuddered and broke the toast in half, wincing at the loud crunch. It sounded like bones breaking. Phantom dropped the toast like he'd been burned, backing away from the island as he whimpered. Bones. His bones. Phantom shook his head as he hiccuped. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" Robin asked as he gently squeezed Phantom's hands. Phantom flinched and gave him a tense smile. 

"Nothing," he said as he tilted his head. "Nothing at all, I just don't like toast."

M'Gann smacked her head. "I knew it, hello Megan! Phantom, sorry about that, Danny said it'd be fine."

Phantom furrowed his brow. "He- You guys think-" Phantom jumped as two white rings formed at his waist. He cocked his head to the side as they traveled up his body until Danny stood proudly in the kitchen.