New Year's Special - 105

Announcement: Updating schedule has been changed to two updates per week. 

Let us begin...

"C'mon, you have to stay up until midnight tonight."

"Why? Is something happening?" Phantom asked, green eyes wide as Robin lead him into the common room. The room was decorated in gold and silver papers, the glitter shimmering in the fairy lights Wally was hanging. A small platter was on the table, surrounded by seven flutes filled with a bubbling liquid. 

"Yeah, at midnight the new year begins," Wally exclaimed, racing around to hang up the last of the lights. "People around the world celebrate the coming year with a big celebration!"

"What's this year?" Phantom asked, sliding onto the couch as the team shot him a worried look.

"You don't know the year?" M'Gann asked, chewing her lip as Phantom shook his head. "How do you know how old you're 14, or that you were with them for eight years?"

"Sir tells me when I gain a year. I did the math since he didn't tell me before you kidnapped me," Phantom mumbled. "And I kept track of time by counting, though I messed up sometimes so it wasn't always accurate."

"Well, it's 2018. At midnight everyone will be celebrating the transition into 2019," Robin explained. Phantom nodded, sneaking a glance at Robin's holo-watch before he stared at his hands. "It's ten, just two hours more." Phantom blushed, giving Robin a small nod as the team finished setting up. 

"Ooh, I wonder which lucky girl is going to be my New Year's kiss, please, don't start fighting," Wally shamelessly flirted. 

"Count on it, I wouldn't fight over you any day," Artemis remarked as M'Gann blushed. 

"Does that mean you'll be my kiss?" Wally asked, raising an eyebrow at Artemis' scowl. 

"No, try asking your teddy bear, Baywatch. I'm sure you'll be rejected, but it's better than bothering me," Artemis countered. 

Wally raised his hands in surrender, leaning back in the couch as he muttered to Robin, "Playing hard to get, I see right through her." 

"I don't think she's playing, it'd be challenging to get her to kiss you," Robin replied, narrowing his eyes behind the shades as Artemis talked to M'Gann. 

"Are you underestimating my flirtation skills?" 

"Never, there's nothing to underestimate when it comes to your shameless flirting," Robin deadpanned.

"You'll see," Wally countered, pouting like a child as he glanced at Phantom. "What do you think of my chances?"

"Of what?" Phantom spoke softly.

"Getting a kiss from Artemis," Wally said, as though the boy had been paying attention to his conversation with Robin.

"Uh, I-I don't know," Phantom stammered. "I-I mean y-you have, uh, I-I'm sorry. I don't- I don't understand the question."

"He wants to know if you think he has a chance with Artemis," Robin sighed, leaning back in the couch as Conner flipped through the channels. "He needs praise."

"Uh, okay, but," Phantom chewed his lip, dropping his voice to barely a whisper, "what's a kiss?"

Wally spluttered, falling off the couch as he clutched his stomach in a fit of laughter. Phantom blushed, looking away as Wally wiped his tears. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have laughed but," a chuckle escaped Wally's lips as his face turned red from keeping his laughter at bay, "you don't know what a kiss is?"