XXIV

Phantom turned his mask in his hands in the dim light of his cell. He bit his lip as he looked at the door. He couldn't do this. It had hurt so much last time and Sir said he was going to be in a lot of pain today regardless. He didn't have to add to it. But Batman had so deliberately given this to him that he knew the man had to have done something to it. If not, he'd at least have M.I.N.A. to help him escape.

Yeah, he decided last night. He was going to escape the GIW. Granted, he'd tried this before and it didn't end well, but this time he had all the training they had given him under his belt. Phantom picked at the material, weighing his options as sleep-time transitioned to wake-time. He flinched when the door burst open, hiding the mask behind him as he stared fearfully at the guard stomping toward him.

"What was that!" He bellowed. Phantom shook his head and held up his empty hands. The guard sneered and grabbed him by the collar. His breath was ripe and Phantom held back a grimace. He turned away as the man shook him around, shaking his head softly as he was dropped to the ground. The guard held him down with the butt of his gun as he looked around. Phantom whined as the gun dug deeper, scratching against his healing chest as the man placed all his weight down.

"Liar. What's that mask doing here?" The guard scowled at him until tears blossomed from the pressure. "Speak!"

"It's mine! I took it off!" Phantom cried out. "Ow! Ow! Please get off my chest!" The boy sobbed as the guard pressed harder, clawing at the gun as he wiggled on the ground.

"Don't tell me what to do," the guard growled as he removed the gun.

Phantom curled up on the ground as the guard snatched up the mask. He pocketed the piece of tech and grabbed the boy's arm. Phantom scrambled to his feet as they exited the cell, gulping audibly as they neared the lab.

"Sir, we're here." Phantom jumped up onto the lab table as he watched the guard converse with Sir. He handed him the mask and Phantom's blood ran cold.

Sir twirled the mask around as he cocked his head to the side. "You have no need for this. I know Batman gave you something, was this it?" Phantom gave him a feeble nod as feared left his tongue a dead weight. "Interesting," the man murmured before snapping at the scientist. "Do what you want, I need to analyze his mask. I can't watch you today," Sir said, and Phantom could practically feel his disappointment.

"What shall we do today?" The scientist hummed. "I've done every experiment and their aunt on you. Do you have a suggestion?" Phantom's eyes widened and he continued to stare at the ceiling. He was only supposed to talk to Sir when they were alone in his office, but this man had asked him a question, but they've done that in the past, too. When he deemed the man was indeed talking to him, Phantom gave him a small shrug of his shoulders.

"Alright, we'll improvise," the man clapped his gloved hands together, sending chills down the boy's spine, "come here."

Phantom sat up tentatively, propping himself up on his elbows before jumping off when the man beckoned him closer. "I'll test your phobias. Let us begin."

He wasn't afraid of spiders or the dark. He didn't even blink when he was forced to climb up a ladder or subjected to countless injections (though he did scream due to the effects of the drugs). He shied away when he was enclosed in a circle of mirrors, but it wasn't because he was afraid, he just didn't enjoy looking at himself.

"Last one: claustrophobia," the scientist announced over the intercom.

Phantom bristled as the door to the room locked and he was plunged into darkness. "M-M-Mr. Scientist? I-I think we f-found it. I-I really don't feel good," he said meekly. The scientist gave him explicit directions that he could speak only if it concerned the test.

He jumped when something ran across his foot, yelping when something made him fall to the ground. "M-Mr. Scientist! P-Please, let me out!"

Either the man was ignoring him, or he was gathering data. It didn't matter because Phantom just wanted out. He beat on the door frantically, sobbing uncontrollably at the creatures lurking in the dark. He shrieked when the walls began moving, literally moving, and he tried his best to push them back into place.

WIthout his powers it was futile, but the rational part of his brain was being overcome by the underlying terror he was feeling. Phantom curled up on the ground and gave up, too tired to fight anymore. His lungs felt like they were collapsing and he couldn't see anything in front of him, even his natural glow had dimmed.

The walls began moving back and the lights flickered on. The scientist walked through the door, whistling a cheery tune as he ruffling the boy's hair with his gloved hand. Phantom tensed at the touch before vaulting onto the man into a full hug. The scientist stiffened, patting the boy's back awkwardly as he trembled. He rolled his eyes as he remembered what Sir had told him, the only reason he let the boy touch him.

They had to regain the boy's trust until he wanted to stay. It sounded stupid to him when all they had to do was lock him up as they had in the beginning, but Sir wanted to shake things up. That man would give him an aneurysm one of these days, for sure.

"C'mon, you're due for a blood draw," the scientist drawled.

Phantom struggled to his feet and the man could see how traumatized he was from one test. He sucked his teeth and helped the boy onto the counter.

"Don't pass out, my arms are not as strong as they once were."

"Yessir," he mumbled as he swung his legs.

Phantom didn't move as he had his blood drawn. Nor did he move during the next one, or the next. Even when his head began to fall forward and his head pounded, he tried his best to stay awake and upright. The scientist flicked his head and the boy fell onto his chest. The man sighed, running a hand along his face as he called in a guard. "Take him back to his cell."

"Sir has requested to see him, sir. I'll take it from here," the man's deep voice replied.

"Whatever, just get him out of here." The scientist brushed a lock of hair aside and scowled at the boy. "Now."

When Phantom woke he knew why his arm felt so sore. What he didn't know, was how he had gotten to Sir's office. His head spun as he sat up, and he pinched the bridge of his nose in agony.

"No, no, no," Sir cooed. Phantom jumped away in surprise at the soft reprimand. He wasn't going to be hit? "Lie back down, you are in no condition to get up." Phantom hesitantly rested back on the couch, keeping a wary eye on Sir as the man moved his legs to sit at the opposite end.

"I apologize for not being able to watch during your time in the lab. I had to make sure your mask didn't have anything on it." Phantom twitched when Sir rubbed his ankle. "I wouldn't want my favorite person to be able to get away, would I?"

"N-No," he whispered.

"And my favorite person wouldn't try to leave, right?" Sir gripped his chin hard enough to bruise and made Phantom look up at him.

"N-No," he squeaked.

"Good," Sir pulled him in a hug, "he's very important to things around here." Phantom breathed deeply, relishing the man's scent as he buried his face in Sir's chest. He was still going to escape, but maybe he would wait a bit, he could stay with Sir for a few more days before taking his leave.

A win-win for everyone.

_________________

Sorry for the short update I've just been spent keeping up with deadlines. Hope you enjoyed and I'll see you next week.