Chapter Two/ Three

Chapter Two

The next day...

"Now I know this list is overwhelming, but we're just finishing Oliver Twist and we'll be moving on to Pride and Prejudice next week, so if you just want to start there, you -"

I scan the list of about a dozen books as Mr. Grey talks. Great Expectations... Jane Eyre... trying to focus on the words as his scent envelops me. It's an intoxicating combination of body wash and something... just him. I can feel the heat rising in my cheeks and I quickly cut him off. "It's fine... no problem. I've read all of these at least once before."

"You've read all of them?"

"Yes... um, books are kind of my thing?" I can tell that he's lost for words, and he just stands there, like he's analyzing me. Like he's looking right into my soul.

I take advantage of the silence, pluck the list of required reading out of his hand, and scurry to my seat.

After class, as I'm leaving with Kate, he calls out to us. "Girls? See you at practice?"

"Absolutely! I took Ana to the mall last night, got all her gear sorted out," says Kate, pulling me into the hall. I manage a lame little wave before we are sucked into the sea of bodies making their way to eighth period.

=/=/=/=

After school, we change into our running clothes. I have black nylon shorts, a mint green dri-fit tee, and a pair of bright purple Brooks running shoes. At least I look the part today.

Kate and I are walking past the storage shed near the track when we hear Coach Grey's voice. "Girls, give me a hand?"

We step into the dimly lit shed, and see that Coach is trying to pull a large hurdle out of a stack in the corner. "Come grab this end, will you?" he asks.

Together, we drag the hurdle out into the sunlight. It's wider than the ones I've seen on the track and it's covered in dust. Coach grabs a rag and gives it a quick wipe-down.

"I know what this is," says Kate. "This is a steeplechase barrier. We haven't competed in steeplechase since... before my time."

"Yep, this event was my wife's specialty. And you're going to give it a try," he says, pointing right at me.

"Um... what?" I ask.

"It's a 2000 meter race where you clear eighteen of these barriers and five water jumps."

I just shake my head. I think he's crazy. Certifiable.

"Kid, I know you have the speed and the stamina, and a natural talent. The question is... Can you fly?"

=/=/=/=

It turned out that I could fly over the barriers. And in the following weeks, Coach and his wife, Natalie, taught me the ins and outs of the steeplechase. It was grueling, exhausting, and the most fun I'd ever had.

Natalie came to practice two or three times a week, showing me how to maintain my forward momentum over the barriers, and how to recover my stride afterwards. She was bubbly and fun, and she became like a big sister to the team. I liked her in spite of myself, in spite of the fact that she was the one getting to touch Coach. The one who was going home with him every night.

=/=/=/=

Six weeks later - early May 2010

APOV