Chapter Eighteen

Kate and I are at the Biscuit Bitch in downtown Seattle for a late brunch on my way back to Montesano. She says we need to celebrate my new job with mimosas, and I need to fill her in on... other events.

"I can't decide between the Cheesy Pork n' Bitch and the Hot Mess Bitch," I say. Although maybe Easy Bitch is more appropriate after this past weekend.

"The Hot Mess Bitch... definitely," says Kate as the waitress approaches. "A Smokin' Hot Bitch, a Hot Mess Bitch, two sides of fried SPAM, and two mimosas."

"It sounds like you just ordered us up a couple of hookers," I giggle, handing over my menu.

We clink our glasses together in a toast before digging into the greasy goodness on our plates.

"To new beginnings," Kate says, grinning brightly at me over her glass. "I'm so proud of you."

"Mmm. Thank you, Kate. It all happened so fast - it made my head spin. So... speaking of new beginnings... Um, did I mention that Coach Grey is the athletic director there?" I ask, trying to sound as if I'm making casual conversation.

Kate freezes with a forkful of Smokin' Hot Bitch halfway to her mouth. "What?!"

"Yeah... it's great. He just started that job last year, and now we'll be working together."

"Wait, wait... so as in Coach Hottie? As in the man you've had a crush on for like seven years?"

"Mmm hmm," I hum as I chew on a mouthful of my Hot Mess Bitch.

"So, did you see him? Did you talk to him? How was it?"

"Yeah, and it was fine... he was good."

"Just fine?" Kate cocks her head and narrows her eyes at me. Oh here we go... "Is he still hot?"

"Mmm hmm." Oh yeah he is. And then I can feel myself blushing as I remember how his - Shit.

"ANA. What. The. Fuck. Spill it."

I take a sip of my mimosa, my liquid courage. "I might have spent the weekend with him?"

"Wait, so he's not still married?"

"Nope."

"And you spent the weekend with him? At your hotel or at his house?"

"Both? Except that it's not a house, exactly? It's more of a shed, but on this amazing property..." and I launch into telling her all about it. "... and I know it all seems fast, but it just feels like..." What does it feel like? "Like we've already waited long enough, you know? It just feels right. And before I left this morning... he asked me to move in with him."

To her credit, Kate hears me out, quietly eating her brunch as I talk. She finishes her mimosa, and finally nods, letting me know that she's heard what I'm saying. She may not totally understand or agree. After all, I don't have the best history when it comes to relationships. But she also knows that it's always been him for me.

"Just take it at your own pace, okay?" She asks.

Kate pulls me in for a hug in the parking lot of the Biscuit Bitch, tells me that she's happy for me and that she'll be checking up on us. Maybe I'll invite her to come eat steaks with us behind the shed. That ought to be interesting.

I pull Wanda into traffic on I-5 South, heading toward Montesano and... Ray. I called him on Friday to let him know that I got the job offer, but that's the last time we talked. And I'd better fill him in myself, before he runs into Kate at the Bulldog Brew again.