Chapter Twenty-Three

"If any of you has a reason why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace."

What? Oh shit... that part was supposed to be left out of the ceremony! What is this, a Hallmark movie? I peel my eyes away from Christian's and look out over the crowd that's gathered around us. I see Olive and Laura, that slut puppy, standing side-by-side. Slowly, identical evil grins steal across their faces and Laura nudges Olive as if to say, "You do it."

Olive's throaty voice calls out, and heads turn as one to look at her. "I have something to say about Anastasia. About how she put a spell on Christian, how she drew his attention away from my sister - his wife - and made him focus on her. She's a liar and a whore. And Christian? He used to whack off in his marital bed fantasizing about Anastasia. She was a minor - his student - and he fondled her, brushing his fingers across her -"

"Anastasia... Anastasia?" Christian's voice breaks through my nightmare of a daydream.

Hmm? Ohh, shit. I'm getting married here, and I should pay attention! It's just that Cal was going on and on... The man is very long-winded.

"Anastasia, I vow to love you faithfully, forsaking all others. I promise to love, to trust, and to respect you. To comfort you in times of need, and keep you safe. All that I have is now yours. I give you my hand and my heart for as long as we both shall live."

"Christian, I vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health. I promise to love you unconditionally, to honor and respect you, and to bring you solace in times of need. I promise to cherish you as long as we both shall live."

"I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride," says Cal proudly.

Christian leans in and gives me a lingering kiss, one that's just long enough to give the doubters a good show, and it's done. We are married.

=/=/=/=

"Is everyone gone?" I groan as I sink gratefully into one of the chairs by the fire, slipping off these wretched heels. For four hours, I danced and smiled and ate and smiled some more, making conversation and accepting congratulations from a never-ending procession of people. I didn't know most their names, so it was a smile and a nod and a thank you so much to most of them.

But now, at just past 10:00, the music has stopped, the guests have left, and the caterers have packed up and left as quickly as they came. It's just the core group of us circled around the dying fire - me and Christian - who's come to perch on the arm of my chair - Christian's family, Ray, and Kate. Matt and Olive left about an half an hour ago, two sleeping boys draped over their shoulders.

It wasn't as awkward having her here as I thought, the hectic and busy atmosphere being a huge buffer. She even gave me a little smile as they offered their congratulations, seemingly resigned to the fact that I was now the new Mrs. Grey. I did notice her shoot a knowing look to Christian, as if they shared a secret, and I'll have to ask Christian about it. But not today.

For now, I am going to enjoy what's left of my wedding day... and my wedding night. And the next two days that make up our short honeymoon, which we'll spend together at home - no doubt only surfacing for food and maybe a little sunlight.

"So who was the one with the face?" asks Kate. "She was giving you the stink eye all night."

I laugh. I had been watching the crowd for their reactions when they realized this was a wedding, not just a barbeque. Most looked surprised, and then pleased about getting to witness the unexpected event. But my favorite was Laura who just stood there, opening and closing her mouth over and over, like a fish. "Oh that was Laura, one of the other teachers. She has a thing for Christian... and I can't say I blame her. I mean, look at him!"