Chapter Twenty-One

CPOV

After the staff meeting, Ana and I worked in her classroom for a while - bringing in a few boxes of her personal supplies, setting up a reading corner with a Poang chair from IKEA - she finally managed to get me in that store and... it wasn't horrible. I might have to go back at least for some more of those Swedish meatballs.

We just got home, and I'm heading over to the worksite to see if they've finished pouring the concrete walkways while Ana goes in to start dinner. They look great, and I take a minute to admire them and talk with the workmen.

"D'ya think the missus will approve?" asks Derek, the foreman, with a twinkle in his eye. He and his men have had fun teasing me about my new status. I started this project as a single guy, and it was all about what I wanted for myself. That quickly changed into what she would like, and what would be best for us.

I leave them to finish up for the day, turning to take in the view and to give myself just a minute before I head in to see my girl. I couldn't help but notice that Laura was shooting daggers at Ana, and I know Ana felt it too. She didn't say anything while we were at the school, but she was a little quieter than normal. I have a feeling that she's inside brewing over it right now, ready for me when I go in.

Laura pursued me pretty persistently last year, eventually ending up in my office late one afternoon. I'm not perfect and let's face it - I'd had a pretty long dry spell. We kissed, and there was some pretty heavy petting... until my face was in her very full, very firm breasts. And my only thought was 'Are these real? They can't be real, can they?' And I pulled back, realizing that it wasn't just her breasts that were the problem. Everything about her was fake... from her colored and carefully coiffed hair, to her heavy makeup, to her pointy stilettos. She was perched on my desk by this point, and over her shoulder, I caught sight of my favorite photo of my girl. Messy ponytail, no make-up... all natural and drop-dead gorgeous.

So I pulled away, made some excuse about being inappropriate in the workplace, and ushered her out of my office.

Sighing, I turn and head for the shed... hoping that she's not too mad and that she left that staff shirt on like I asked. I can hear cabinet doors being slammed, pots being banged as soon as I slide back the door. Here we go.

As I make my way over to our living quarters, I can see that she is still wearing the jersey shirt and that her legs are bare below it. She's sending off mixed messages, but my pants tighten at exactly what I could do with a naked and pissed-off Ana in my kitchen.

I'm just a few feet from her when she whips around to face me, her hair wild and her cheeks flushed. She's a green - er, blue - eyed goddess, and I involuntarily reach for her. She jumps back as if I'm about to scald her, effectively pinning herself between me and the counter.

"Whatcha makin'" I ask, peering around her at what she's been preparing.

"Pasta with bolognese sauce. Did you sleep with her?"

"Who?" As if I didn't already know.

"Laura what's-her-name. The slut puppy who couldn't keep her eyes off you."

I feel the corners of my mouth twitch. Slut puppy? Really? Oh, my girl is jealous.

"Don't you dare laugh. This isn't funny. Tell me. Do you still have feelings for her?"

"Ana, NO. I told you before... I haven't slept with anyone. Not since Natalie. It's the truth." I decide that I better just tell her everything. It's not like I did anything wrong. Except that I could have told her - warned her - before today. "We kissed... once. She was a warm and very willing body. But before it went any further, I realized that was just all artificial and wrong for me. Fake personality... fake hair..."