Prologue

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" Niklaus cried in despair, staring straight at his mother, while he cradled the bloody body of his wife.

"I did what had to be done. She made her own choice." Esther said with an unwavering voice, staring straight at the stone wall.

"You knew, you knew what was going to happen yet you allowed it to be done!" He roared with anguish, still hugging her body close to him as if it would magically bring her back.

"She died to save you, my son. She died to save all of us. It was for a worthy cause." She patted his shoulder once before turning to leave. The Mikaelson brother felt something snap in him.

With his newly found speed, Niklaus had his mother up against the hard wall with his hand on her throat.

"A worthy cause? A worthy cause?!" He let out a dark and cold chuckle, "You know what else is a worthy cause, mother?" He bared his fangs at her. "This." The look on his mother's face before he sank his fangs into her neck was satisfying.

He felt euphoric as the blood rushed down his throat. He knew that he was very well killing his mother but he didn't care. This woman before him had killed the only good thing that has ever happened to him, and she was going to pay for what she had done. Still charged with revenge and anger, he pulled away from the now lifeless body and trudged back over to where another body lay.

Only the sight of her made him drop to his knees, the anger now long forgotten. He cradled her once again staring into the eyes he fell in love with. The eyes that once was filled with light, happiness, and love was now dull. His body shook as he held her hand that was enclosed in his up to his mouth, giving it a shaky kiss.

Seconds, minutes, hours. He stayed and prayed for a miracle that was never going to happen.

He stood up, the body of his wife still in his arms. He slowly set her on the bed they had once laid in together and basked in each other's love. He knew he had to bring her back, back to him, whatever the cost was.

"I promise you, my love. We will be together again. You will always be my queen. Till death and beyond death do us part. Always and forever."