Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Just then, they heard a voice

"someone's searching for you..." they turned to find one of the security guards walking to them, with little Jo in his arms. Kate ran to him. And Castle breathed a sigh of relief before walking up to where they were.

Kate took her from the kind man's arms and hugged her close to her. She closed her eyes, and a tear rolled down her cheek. She had held back for so long, trying to be brave, but it just had to fall out now.

"Jo…"she sighed.

"tttt…" the little baby mumbled.

"Honey... don't you ever do that to us again okay… you had us so worried."

Castle kissed the baby's head from behind Kate

"Thank God she's okay. Where was she?"

"We found her crawling near the aquarium entrance" the guard told them.

Kate looked at Jo "I should have known those jelly fish really impressed you…"

The baby, so oblivious to the panic she had caused, smiled and touched her mommy's hair… playing with it like she loved to.

"Baby, you had mommy and daddy so scared. But I'm so glad you're okay…"

She kissed her softly… she was still so shaken by the entire incident. She was suddenly feeling the need to be home soon.

She looked at Castle, but even before she could say anything he understood.

"Wait for us at the car, I'll get the pram" he said.

They thanked the guards again for their help. Castle even offered to put a few of their names in his next book ;)

He took Nate with him and Kate walked to the car with Jo. When they were all seated in, and Castle reversed the car out of parking, he noticed Kate's unrest. She was looking out the window ever since they left the zoo.

"Kate, you alright?"

She finally looked at him, and then at the road ahead.

"Yea." she ran her hand through her hair. "Just a little shaken up after everything"

Castle reached out and took her hand in his. And the entire ride, he didn't let go of her.

She was grateful for it. Even if they weren't talking much, this was what she needed. His touch. He was warm and comforting. And she was never one to show that she needed him. He always just knew.

Kate looked behind to see Nate yawning. And Jo was already asleep.

Just then Rick asked

"You wanted to stop at the cemetery?"

She looked at the backseat once again.

"You know what, the kids are tired, and they had a pretty adventurous afternoon. Why don't you just drop me off there, and take them home, I'll get a cab back home in a while."

Rick nodded.

They stopped at the cemetery, and Kate got off.

"I'll see you at home." she said.

"Yea… you'll be alright?" he was genuinely concerned.

"Don't worry"

she walked off into the cemetery.

When she reached the gravestone she'd been waiting to come visit, she just stood there. And in her mind, she spoke to the woman who had once been such an important person in her life, and actually still was.

She told her it was her kids' first birthday today, and how she wished they could meet her. She told her everything that had happened since the morning. Her fight with Rick. Nate's first word, they're time at the zoo, and how she almost lost it when they couldn't find Jo...

As she recalled the fight and the incident with Jo, she found herself giving in to the emotions running through her, and tears began to flow down her cheeks. And she softly whispered to no one but herself "I miss you mom."

Just then she felt a hand on her shoulder. A comforting, warm, soft hand. A tiny hand. She turned around to find Rick there, with both her children in each of his arms. And Jo had reached out to touch her.

"Castle, I thought you guys were going home."

"The minute you left the car, they woke up. They realized you were gone. I think it's that sixth sense you were talking about earlier."

Kate looked down and smiled. She quickly wiped her tears. Not wanting her children to have to see her that way.

She then glanced back at the gravestone and back at him.

"They won't understand" she told him.

"They don't have to" he replied.

She nodded. And took Nate from him. Then they both stood before the grave and she spoke to the kids.

"Nate, Jo, this is Grandma Johanna. Now I know you guys will never get to meet her, but she loves you guys, and she's watching over you all the time."

Kate felt Rick's hand go around her and he pulled her closer to his side. 'This is my family mom. Of course it's incomplete without Alexis.' she said in her mind.

Knowing well, that her mom was all too proud of her. A tear rolled down her cheek again, and Rick lightly squeezed her shoulder in comfort. And Nate looked at the shiny drop falling down her cheek

"oooo..." he said and touched her cheek. He looked into her eyes, and she smiled.

"I'm okay honey. Come on. Let's go home"

They got back to the car and drove back home. As soon as they were home, the kids were already fast asleep, they took them up to their room and put them down to sleep the entire afternoon while they helped Alexis and Martha get the place ready for the party in the evening.