Chapter 39

Chapter 39

She took the box from him and said a small "Thanks" without really looking up at him.

"Jo, why did you lie to me?"

"I didn't find it necessary to tell you everything dad. Especially not about the guys I date."

"Why not"

"Just, kids don't tell their parents this stuff. I'm grown up now dad. I can handle relationships on my own."

Castle looked down for a second and then back at her.

"I know you can. But… I want to know where you are and with who at all times… I feel better knowing. Jo, I don't want you to get hurt. I know these kind of boys, they'll play around with you and leave you broken-hearted in the end."

"But that's the thing dad, how do you know that, when you've not even met the guy. You're just assuming."

Castle realized she had a point. "I guess you're right. But how will I know if you keep it hidden from us."

"I wasn't going to hide it from you guys entirely dad. I was going to tell you eventually. But I suddenly don't feel like telling you anything after you invaded my privacy."

"I understand honey. But in my defence, I was just keeping your phone away when I saw your messages and it really hurt me that you lied to me. You never lie to me"

Jo stepped forward then and put her arms around her dad hugging him tight and she whispered into his shoulder. "I'm sorry I lied dad"

"It's alright now" he said. Feeling much better that they had talked.

"Dad, why does it upset you so much that I'm dating someone?"

"I guess… I don't know. I'm not ready to accept that you're all grown up"

she chuckled.

"You have to promise me something dad" she said while looking up at him. "Stop treating me like I'm 6. I'm 17 and there are things I might not feel necessary to tell you all the time."

"I promise. But you have to make a promise too. that if at any time, something goes wrong, or you're unsure of anything you'll come talk to me or your mom and you'll keep us informed about your whereabouts at all times."

"Yes dad I promise."

He kissed her head and said "That's my girl" and she hugged him tighter.

As they walked back to the kitchen she softly admitted "I hate fighting with you" he put his arm around her and pulled her close "I hate it too. I'm sorry if I was out of line. I love you too much"

"I love you too dad, Always"

as they sat down for dinner, Kate fed Becky and Jo opened up to her parents about Danny.

She said he was a year older to her and he met her one day in the cafeteria, told her he couldn't take his eyes off her ever since he spotted her. Castle looked at Kate then and they shared the same thought. They're daughter was just as beautiful as her mom. And Kate had had the same effect on Castle when they had first met.

But Castle didn't want to think of this guy as a perfect boyfriend for his daughter yet. Not until he met him in person, would he judge. Jo raved on about what a good looking guy he is, and how charming he can be. And after they were all done with dinner, Castle took Becky to her room to put her to sleep, and then he joined Jo and Nate in the living room to watch a movie. Kate was clearing up the kitchen when Nate walked over to her.

"Need something honey?"

"Yea. Advice"

"On?"

"I don't know if I should ask Leila out or not"

"ahhh."

"Mom… you, dad, uncle Javi and aunt Lanie, you guys are really good friends..."

"And?"

"Well, what if... what if something goes wrong after we start dating. What if we break up? What happens then? I don't want there to be any friction between you guys just cause of me"

"I see what you mean. But sweetheart, why are you so unsure of yourself. You do like her don't you?"

He chuckled. "I really really like her. I've never liked anyone this way before"

"then don't you go around worrying about the worst that can happen. Your father once told me 'The heart wants what the heart wants' and you clearly want her. So don't let that fear stop you. Your dad and I wasted a lot of time early on in our partnership; being afraid of losing the friendship we had built"

"So you think I should ask her out?"

"I think you should tell her how you feel about her, and if she feels the same, then take her out"

"Thanks mom"

"Always Nate."

He kissed her cheek then and ran off into the living room to watch the movie with his sister and dad.

Kate stared at him from where she was. She couldn't help but laugh at the fact that it was just a few years ago when Little Nate would take every chance he could to pick on Leila. He'd worry her and make her cry. He'd chase her around scaring her, and pull her pigtails and she'd run to her aunt Kate to tell on him. And Kate would hug her tight and scold Nate for worrying the little girl.

She chuckled to herself at the memory. She should have seen it then. There was some obvious chemistry between them even then.

If anything, Esposito was more than happy to know that it was Nate who Leila was showing an interest towards. He had even told Kate that if it had been any other boy, he'd have been in the same state Castle was when he found out about Jo dating.

But because it was Nate, their own son, he was at ease. Nate was a good boy and he'd never think of hurting a girl. He was raised well. Kate smiled proudly. They really had done a good job with both of them.