Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Castle, now that we brought this up, do you mind explaining what got into you when Jo returned home"

"Ummm.. We need to talk about this now?"

"Why, what do you have to hide?"

"I'm not hiding anything. I'm just saying we were just about to…"

"Yea I know, and we can get back to it, but now that you mentioned Jo, I'm just really curious"

"Can we just let it go? It was stupid of me"

"No Castle. I found it ridiculous the way you questioned her honesty today."

"Kate, I was worried"

"Paranoid would be a better choice of words"

"Don't tell me what would be a better choice of words. I knew what I was doing" he was beginning to lose his temper.

"And what was that?"

"I was simply making sure that there was no boy taking advantage of her"

"wow. Castle, firstly, there is no boy in her life yet, and secondly, even if there was, why would you jump to the conclusion that he was taking advantage of her?"

"Cause all boys do that"

Kate gave him a look.

"Young teenage boys yes"

"I still can't believe you doubted her that way babe, we've raised her beautifully, and I find it ridiculous that you would think of this"

"listen, I don't know why we're even having this conversation. I apologized to her, and she forgave me too."

"So I can't talk to you now about it? Is that what you're saying?"

"No Kate..."

"Fine. Just forget it... I don't want talk about it anymore"

"Kate, Can't a father be worried about his daughter?"

"We've done this before Castle. There's a difference between being worried and over protective and in your case add paranoid too"

"Fine, you think I'm paranoid. Don't come crawling to me when some douche bag tries to play with Jo's heart"

he seemed to be at the end of his tether. He got out of bed and she quickly asked him,

"Where are you going?"

"To get your moisturizer"

and he walked out, slamming the bedroom door behind him.

Kate winced at the loud sound and then just started at his pillow. That escalated quickly she thought.

She lifted the covers a bit and slid down. She wiped her face down with her hands and stared up at the ceiling.

She was angry at the way he questioned Jo, but it came off as too much anger, so she wasn't sure now whether she was out of line or not. It was truly wrong of him to behave that way, but she could have approached it in a better way she thought. And at a better time, she added as an afterthought as she stared at the body oil he had brought from the bathroom and placed beside his pillow.

She huffed a loud sigh and closed her eyes.

Castle was filled with rage when he slammed the door. He couldn't control it. Kate had no right to question him that way about what worries him the most about his baby girl.

How would she know what it's like to watch your baby girl cry after her heart has been stamped upon by some unworthy douchebag who was just looking to play around?

No she wouldn't know because she's never seen it happen before. He, on the other hand, had seen Alexis struggle through break ups, and he hated to watch her heart be broken and shattered. And of course he didn't want that for Jo. He didn't want to let her give her heart away so easily to boys who know nothing about what true love really is, about how to love a woman and appreciate her.

No. He was not going to let that happen. He was going to protect Jo from that kind of heart break for as long as he still has a hold over her.

The anger in him wasn't willing to calm down. And honestly he felt horrible for leaving Kate that way and walking out, but she was out of line. And her timing was absolutely horrible.

Their night was going beautifully, growing into something that would be another memory engraved into his heart, but this ruined it. And really, he didn't care much for the sex, what he cared about was the exchange of affection that they have, and it all took a turn in the opposite direction when the topic about Jo was brought up.

He had now made his way upstairs to Jo's room and was standing in front of her door. It was 12.30 am and he was sure that she'd be asleep. So he saw no point in knocking. He lightly pushed the door open and stepped inside, spotting Kate's moisturizing cream on Jo's dressing table immediately.

He walked over to retrieve it and at the same time realized that his sleeping beauty was still holding her phone in her hand. He walked over to take it from her sleeping form and keep it aside, when the blinking LED light on the phone called out to him. And he couldn't resist the temptation of checking her phone.

Right enough, there was a chat window open on her messenger app.

It was someone named 'Danny'

and the last chat was from him. It read "Had a great time with you today Joanne. Hope we can meet up again soon. Although, we'll have to come up with another excuse for you to be out after school. g'night babe."

Castle grit his teeth in anger. She had lied to him. Lied straight to his face.