Chapter 3

Wednesday December 12 12:40 p.m

“Hey” said Roman sitting down next to Virgil.

“hi”

“Did you ask Patton?”

“Yeah, he said it was fine.”

“Magnificent! Talyn and Joan use they/them pronouns, valerie uses she/her pronouns, and Jamahal, Terrance, Thomas use he/him pronouns.

“Cool- wait Thomas...Sanders?” Virgil asked.

“Yeah. Are you two related? I mean Sanders is a pretty common last name but are you?” Roman asked.

“Yeah, we're cousin's."

“Oh, that's nice.” Roman said glad he didn't embarrass himself.

“I'm not really surprised, you  both seem like the kind of people that would get along.”

“Thomas gets along with everybody.”

“True.”

“I bet Thomas and Patton get along well.”

“Thomas and Patton get along with everybody.” Virgil said playfully mocking Roman.

“Touchè.” said Roman. For the rest of lunch Virgil listened to music and ate with him in a comfortable silence.

Wednesday December 12th 6:05 p.m

“Hey, Virge. Sorry practice ran a little late today, or at least for me.” said Roman running down the auditorium in a Prince costume.

“Nice outfit.” Virgil Said sarcastically.

“I know.” Roman said also being sarcastic.

“What show are you doing?”

“Into the woods.” He said putting his hands up dramatically.

Virgil laughed a little bit.

“Look I have to go change. But I'll be back soon. Okay?”

“Okay.” Virgil said sitting down in the theater. He got pretty bored pretty easily so he started singing ‘freeze your brain’ from Heathers or at least what he could remember of it. He got about half way through the song until he heard someone say:

“Does your mommy know you eat all that crap?” like veronica does in the song.  Virgil jumped in surprise he knew it was Roman who said it.

“How much of that did you hear?!” Virgil said anxiously.

“All of it. You have a beautiful singing voice by the way.”

“Oh, t-thanks princey.”

“No problem. Do you wanna go now?”

“Yeah, sure.” said Virgil, still embarrassed that Roman heard him sing. Once they got to the restaurant Virgil sat down between Roman and an empty chair.

“So, This is your new friend?” asked the one in the Orange beanie.

“Yeah. This is Virgil.”

“I'm Joan.” said the one in the Orange beanie.

“Hey Virge.”

“Sup Thomas.”

“Hi, I'm Valerie.”the girl sitting next to Thomas said cheerfully.

“I'm Talyn” said the one next to Joan.

“I'm Jamhal” said the guy sitting next to Talyn.

“I'm Virgil. But Roman already said that. I'm sorry I'm not really good with people.” Virgil said anxiously.

“That's alright we're all a little awkward you'll fit right in.” said Talyn.

“Hello!” said the boy sitting down in the empty seat next to Virgil. The way he introduced himself startled Virgil quite a lot.

“Sorry. Did I startle you?”said the boy.

“A little.” said Virgil.

“Sorry. I'm Terrance.”

“I'm Virgil.”

“That name sounds familiar.” said Terrance.

“That's because Roman has been talking about him all day yesterday.”

“That's not true!”Roman said defensively. Everyone looked at him knowing he was lying. “Okay it is true but I never said his name.”

“He's also my cousin.” said Thomas.

“Yeah,I remember when we were about 9 years old and we we were watching the lion king and Virgil showed up half way through and then we all had a Disney marathon after that.”

“How do you remember that?” asked a very confused Valerie.

Terrance just shrugged.

“There's never a wrong time to dress in drag and do the hula.”Roman and Virgil said in unison both remembering the day they actually did meet for the first time.

“Roman and Virgil sitting in a tree f-u-c-k-i-”

“JOAN!” Roman said embarrassed with an even more embarrassed Virgil sitting next to him.

“Dude. He's already uncomfortable enough. That's why we should pick on Roman instead.” said Jamal.

“Lovingly.” said Valerie.

“yeah.” said Jamal nodding.  As the night went on Virgil really got to know everyone. They all had something about them  Valerie was really nice, so was Terrance, Jamal had a laid back attitude that kind of put Virgil at ease, there was something about Talyn and Joan he really liked and even though he already knew Thomas and Roman he really enjoyed their company. He just couldn't describe it. All eight of them were just really fun to be around. Later on Virgil realized he didn't tell Patton when to pick him up so Roman’s mom drove him home. And Virgil secretly enjoyed hearing Roman sing the whole drive home