Chapter 9 ~ Too Late

Roman wiped at his eyes. "Patton?"
"Yeah, kiddo?" Patton stopped at the sight of the disheveled side.
"Have you seen Virgil?"
"No, sorry. I know this is hard on you and everyone, but we'll find him." Patton kept walking.
Logan and Patton had been inquiring into Roman's lack of his usual attitude. For the last 4 days when Virgil was missing, he hadn't been himself. Everyone was worried. Thomas was being extremely unproductive.
"Virgil, where are you?" Roman muttered.
~A few hours later~

Bump.
"Huh?" Logan said, confused.
Crash.
"What... is that?" Patton asked.

Everything dissipated.

"Nnn?" Thomas rubbed his eyes.
"Thomas! Wake up!"
"What? Logan?"
"Virgil is with Deceit!"
Thomas snapped up. "What?"

"Hehehe... You don't look confused as all."
"Oh. Great. Slimy boi." Thomas shook his head.
"You look great today, Thomas. Now, let's get to it."
Virgil's eyes were glazed over. He was almost limp, but still standing. He didn't seem to be in control of himself.
"I'm going to destroy you all myself, but I thought having your friend destroy you would be so much less fun."
As if on cue, Virgil held out his arm and some sort of magic golden string wrapped around Patton's wrists.
"H-huh?" Patton recoiled.
"What?" Logan immediately ran over to Patton, but immediately stopped by more golden strings pulling him back. Roman clenched his fists. "Virgil..."
"Eek!" Patton cried.
"Virgil, this isn't you!"
"This isn't Virgil, Roman!" Logan yelled, struggling.
"I DON'T CARE!" Roman shouted. Logan was stunned.
"Oh, isn't this entertaining?" The strings wrapped around all the sides (and Thomas) except Roman.
"STOP DOING THIS!" Roman screamed. He pulled out his sword. The room went black, then Deceit was gone and 'Virgil' grinned. He continued summoning the golden strings. Patton fell over, unconscious.
"Patton! No!" Logan's eyes went misty. What is this feeling? he thought.
Thomas and Logan also fell unconscious. Roman had tears falling down his face. "Virgil..." He shut his eyes. "I love you." He positioned his sword in front of him. "I can't imagine what I would do without you. I'll miss you."

He stabbed him.

"Roman?"
"Roman, wake up."
"...hunh?"
"Roman!" Patton beamed. Logan smiled. Thomas helped him up.
"You saved us, right?" Logan asked.
"Virgil. Where's Virgil?"
"We... don't know," Thomas said quietly.
"Did someone say my name?"
Everyone looked up. Sure enough, there was Virgil, fifty feet away. Roman sprinted over and threw his arms around him. "Virgil..."
"Whoa. Princey, I'm fine." He hissed from pain. Roman had caught his arms into the hug. "Huh?" He pulled back. "Virgil, let me see your arms."
"No, I'm fine, it's—" Roman shoved his sleeves up, revealing new scars. Not older, these were fresh. "Virgil, I thought you stopped."
Thomas had approached. "Why are you still...?" He trailed off.
"Well, isn't it obvious why I would be doing this?"
"No... why?"
Virgil started quoting Thomas. "'Right now, I hope and dream to get rid of my anxiety.' 'Tell me about it.' 'Great, my anxiety, right on time.' 'We already know your point of view.' 'Anxiety, I was feeling good today, man.' 'Are you just trying to counter everything I do?' 'How do you have anything negative to bring to this, Anxiety?'"
"I..." Thomas said, speechless.
"Do you get it? And Princey? How about all those other times? 'I can't stand that guy.' 'Still don't like you.' 'I feel like people are really mean to the hot, popular persona. Especially Anxiety.' 'If Anxiety's gone, what do we have to lose?' And then there's the nicknames..."
"I'm so sorry," Roman whispered.
"Let's see. Hot Topic, emo nightmare, Charlie Frown, Brad Pitiful, Incredible Sulk, My Chemically Imbalanced Romance, Negative Nancy, Doctor Gloom, Jack Smellington, the list goes on. I'm sorry, what did you say?"
Roman stuttered. "I-I..."
Virgil prayed his voice wouldn't crack when he said what he was going to say. But of course, it did.
"Well, if you weren't going to say anything, I'll be on my way." His voice rose a few octaves. "Thanks for breaking me." With that, he spun around and walked away.
Roman was in shock. He knew that Virgil could change moods quickly, but that hurt.
"Roman? Kiddo?" Patton put his hand on Roman's shoulder. Roman shrugged it off and followed Virgil out of the room. He walked into his room and sighed.
Virgil curled up on his bed. He was quietly sobbing.
"Hope you're satisfied," he muttered.

(Merry Bit- Um. Christmas!)