Chapter 7 | The break-up

The message had me in shock. I thought I said nevermind on breaking up with Josh? 
'Hey, you alright?' Daniel looked at me concerned, which made Brad look at me too. 
'What- uhm, yeah, yeah.' I said, going from shocked to confused. I stood up from my chair. 'I just need the toilet,'
I took my phone with me and went to look for the toilet. Just when I wanted to open the door to the woman's toilet a hand on my shoulder pulled me back. Brad looked me with a worried eyes.
'What happened?' he asked softly. This was the soft side of Brad that I hadn't seen yet, and probably Maureens reason why they were best friends. 
'Nothing, I just need the toilet,' I told him. 
'You went from straight up laughing at me, to confused. Surely something is wrong,' Brad said, not believing anything I just said right now. I sighed and looked at my phone that was in my hand.
'I need to call someone, okay? That's all,' 

'Sure I wait here,' Brad said, arms over each other. I wanted to roll my eyes at him, but I know he was just taking care of his friend, so instead I just walked in to the girls bathroom and called Maureen. While I waited for my sister to pick up I inspected the room if anyone was here, but it was only me. 
'Hey Maya,' I heard through my phone. 
'What the fuck happened?' I asked straight away. I heard her sigh, which wasn't a good sign.
'Maybe we shouldn't talk about this on the phone?' She tried. My eyebrows shots upwards. 
'Just tell me,'
'Okay,' Maureen said while taking a long time before actually telling me what happened. 'Turns out you didn't had to break up with him, he did it for you,' A long silent came after that. I was standing here, looking at myself in the mirror lost for words. 

'Why?' I asked. I felt sad. Why was I feeling sad? This is stupid, I wanted to break up with him and he did it for me. Shouldn't I be happy? It took Maureen a little bit until she answered my simple question.
'Maybe the reason for it I need tell you face to face instead on the phone,' she said, which couldn't be anything good. 
'Just tell me. I don't want to ruin my time asking myself what the reason is for him to break up with me,' I decided to say. It was probably for the best that I know right now what it was. 
'You sure?' I heard Maureen ask. I needed to think for a second until I answered, but my answer stayed the same.
'Yes,'
'Okay, but promise me to talk to me instead of shutting me out,' I rolled my eyes while promising her I won't shut her out. 'Josh has been seeing someone else, and that's also where he stayed while being away. That's the only thing he could tell me until I got mad at him and showed him the door..... are you okay?' 

'Im fine,' I said robotically. I don't know if I was okay. I looked at myself in the mirror and scared myself with the shock that was seen on my face. It stayed quiet on the other line of the phone, while my mind was racing. Questions came up in my head that I never thought I would ask my self. How did this happened? Why did this happened? And why did he lie to me? 
'I'm sorry Maya.' Maureen then said. 'If you need to talk with someone about it, I'm here, or you could go to Brad. You can tell him about us, I trust him and he's good at cheering someone up,'
'I think he knows something is up,' I then told Maureen, more so because I didn't want to talk about Josh.
'Who, Brad?' 
'Yeah,' 

'Just tell him, okay? He will help you,' Maureen said. We slowly ended our phone conversation and before I walked out of the woman's bathroom I tried making myself look normal. Like nothing happened. However I didn't expect Brad to still be waiting in the hall for me. It scared me when I walked out of the bathroom. He looked at me worried.
'The uhmm.. walls are not  thick, like.. at all,' he tried to explain. My eyes got a little bit bigger.
'You heard?' I asked. He shrugged.
'I heard you talking, yeah,' I tried thinking back to all the thinks he would've heard, but it didn't matter. It was maybe for the best to tell at least one person.
'I think I'm going back to the hotel,' I told Brad, not expecting him to come with me, but he did.
'I tell the guys that you're sick, and I'm coming with you. I think it's time for us to talk,' I just nodded at him and looked at how he walked away and not long after he came back with my jacket. 'Let's go,'

----

I pulled myself under the covers while I sat down on my bed. Brad pulled his shoes off and sat down next to me, but above the sheets. He looked at me, while I held my phone tightly in my hands. 
'This is gonna sound really weird,' I decided to start after I found out that Brad wasn't the one that would start this conversation. I looked up to him while he looked at me curious. 'But I'm not Maureen, I'm her twin sister Maya,' 
I waited for a comment back but Brad kept looking at me, until he started the laugh. 'Okay, you almost had me there. Good one!' he said, still laughing at me. For some reason I kind of expected this reaction, so I pulled my phone, or actually Maureen's phone to my face and looked up my instagram for a picture from Maureen and me. I clicked on the most recent picture that we took in our onesies. I showed Brad and waited for his reaction. He stopped laughing and took the phone out of my hands. 
'This isn't photoshopped?' He asked me. I couldn't help but smile while shaking my head. 'No way!'
'Didn't you notice that Maureen suddenly has a birth mark on her face?' I asked while pointing at my birthmark between my eye and my nose. He looked at me and shook his head while looking back at the phone because it started to vibrate shortly. 

'You have a message from Daniel,' He grinned. 'But wait,' he then said. 'So you're Maya?' 
'Yes,' I laughed. 
'How long have I been talking to Maya then?' 
'Since Wednesday, Maureen is still in England,' I said. 

'No way!' he said again, getting more excited about the idea of my sister and me switching places. I didn't expect this reaction, but then again, I wouldn't know what for reaction I was expecting from him. 
'How come I didn't know Maureen was a twin?!' he then asked, almost feeling betrayed. I shrugged.
'I've been asking that question to myself too,' He shook his head with the biggest smile. 
'If you're now telling me that this is a joke, I'm gonna push you so hard off the bed,' 

'It's not a joke!' I laughed. He nodded, being happy about my answer. He pushed himself against the pillow and stretched his legs. He looked back to the phone that he still had in his hand when it started to vibrate again.
'You or Maureen are very populair by the two drivers,' he laughed. I looked at him confused.
'What do you mean?'
'Now Seb messaged you asking if you are alright,' he grinned. I rolled my eyes and tried to get the phone back. I looked at my phone and saw that both Daniel and Sebastian asked sort of the same question. 
'But now that I know you're not Maureen but actually a stranger, I feel kind of weird not knowing who you are,' Brad suddenly said which made me look at him. He had an amused look on his face. 'Tell me how Maya is different from Maureen,'
'Well,' I started, not really sure where to even begin. 'First of all I have a twin sister called Maureen who's two minutes older then me, which she likes to tell people  and I have an older brother Thomas.'
'You sure you're not triplets?' Brad came in between my sentence. I laughed but shook my head.
'Thank god no, Thomas is 5 years older then us. He's a veterinarian, while Maureen and I stayed with dad's passion, cars. I work in my dad's garage where we get different kind of cars or motors or whatever,'
'That sounds cool,' he smiled at me while listening closely at what I had to tell about myself.
'Yeah, but life back home gets pretty boring,'
'The boyfriend too?' Brad said with a grin, which made my smile disappear.
'Well, ex-boyfriend since not even an hour I guess,' He looked at me surprised. 'Maureen is in my house and I guess Josh didn't know it was Maureen, because we didn't told him and he broke up with me and confessed there was someone else in the picture,'
'What an asshole!' Brad immediately said. I shrugged.
'It's fine, really. I was already planning on ending it. I guess I'm just sad that he had to find someone else and lie to me before breaking up with me,' 

'So now you're here finding a new man!' I went from feeling a little sad to a big smile after Brad's comment. 
'No!' I laughed. 'I'm here to find Maureen a man,' 
'Oh, easy!'