Chapter 21 | Dad's opinion

Dad had worry written all over his face when we joined him in the waiting room. He wasn't one that could sit and wait around for something to happen. He needed things to do. He had greeted us and waited until we sat down on the hospital chairs before he told us that he would get us some coffee. I gave my brother a look who just shrugged at me. He sighed.
'Mom has been trying to tell dad to go back home and sleep for a little while as he got here immediately from the airport. But he doesn't want to.' Thomas then explained. I nodded slowly while looking straight into a hallway.
'I guess I understand that.' I said. 'Where's mum?'
'Stuck in traffic, but she should be here soon,' It didn't take long before dad had come back with a tray. He gave everyone their coffee and put the tray on the table.
'Doctors still have no information of when Maureen gets out of surgery,' Dad sighed. He was still standing with his hands on his hips and just looking around. I didn't know it could happen, but he made me more nervous than I already was. 
'Dad, sit down, please.' I told him with a sigh. 'You're making me nervous,'
I saw his eyebrows raise a bit, but he did what I said and sat down on the chair in front of us three. 
'Okay, then let us talk about something else then.' he said while taking a phone out of his pocket. My phone to be precise. 'Who likes to explain to me why I almost made a fool of myself by almost telling the doctors that they had confused their selves with the wrong twin,' Dad looked at me with a strict face. I pressed my lips together, feeling like a kid again that got punished. All three men looked at me, waiting for my response on dad's comment. 
'It's kind of a funny story?' I said more as a question than a statement, as I wasn't sure how much of a joke I could make to dad in this situation. 
'Doesn't really look funny to me Maya,' dad said back. 'Look at where we are,' 
'I know, but this shouldn't have ever happened.' I sighed again. I was trying to avoid the look my dad gave me. 'Look, Maureen came with the idea to switch lives. She wanted to be home for a little while and I wanted to get away. It was supposed to be just one weekend. No one was supposed to find out,' I said as I gave Daniel a short look. 'But Maureen asked me to do more days. I didn't really want to say no to her as I knew she was pretty stressed out,' 
Dad just shook his head when I finally looked at him. It didn't matter what I said to make the situation look slightly better. He had an opinion on this and nothing would change that. 
'It's childish behaviour. How old are you now? Seven? No Maya, you're twenty-five, not sixteen anymore. Look at where your little joking around got us,' Dad said, getting more and more pissed. It got to the point where I didn't even dare to say anything back, knowing that it would only piss off dad even more. However, Thomas wasn't thinking like that. It surprised me when he spoke up and defended me.
'Oh come on dad, you're not being very fair here. To switch lives you need two persons to do that, don't act like this is all Maya's fault. Besides, it's such an innocent thing for them to do. They didn't mean any harm to anyone. I personally thought it was pretty funny and I think you should be able to see that too,' Thomas had said with all confidence in the world. I looked at him and when he looked back at me I smiled at him brightly to show him I was thankful for him sticking up for me. I didn't like the fact that dad wanted to put the blame all on me. It was something that he did regularly between Maureen and I and it had bothered me every time, but never I dared to say something about it. It felt like perfect timing when the doctor walked over to us, making the whole conversation from just seconds ago unimportant. We got told that Maureen was done with her surgery and when she got rolled back to her own room we finally got to see her. Dad and Thomas decided to go first while I waited with Daniel for our turn as they told us Maureen would be very sleepy and weak when she wakes up and they didn't want the room to be busier then it should be. 
'Your dad seems.... nice?' Daniel said, trying slowly to make a conversation between the two of us. 
'He isn't that bad... most of the time,' I laughed softly, looking at my hands that were resting on my lap. Dad was just stressed, and I realized that he wasn't good with handling stress. I slowly looked at Daniel who was already looking back at me. 'What?' I asked him, looking at him funny. 
'I was just wondering.... but I don't know if I should talk about it right now,' Daniel said unsurely. I shrugged. 
'I don't know either. But you should try me and find out,' I said simply. I thought Daniel's lips would curl up by my simple answer back, but they didn't. Instead, he looked more worried than ever.  His whole body turned to me on the uncomfortable chair and his voice was turned down a bit the next time that he spoke.
'How was Maureen doing the last few weeks?' he asked. His worried eyes were so focused on me that it looked like he was slowly trying to look inside my brain, waiting for an answer.
'She just... I don't know, she was stressed out, missed being home. I guess that all added up on each other and it got too much,' I told Daniel. My words made him look more worried if that even was possible as he was already looking very worried and stressed out. 'But don't worry!' I told him fast. 'She's getting help and all will be better.' 
Daniel sighed while rubbing his hands in his face. 'I guess I just wished I knew about all of this,'
'If it makes you feel better, I went into this situation also not knowing what was going on with Maureen,' I told him honestly. Daniel didn't really react to my comment except for giving me a small smile as respond. It got quiet again between the two of us and I was pretty sure we looked like two miserable young adults. My mind started to replay today and I realized how long this day already has been. I've never been a girl that liked to get wrapped up around drama, but today feels like the drama has been following me without my consent. 
'Let's talk about something else, okay?' Daniel suddenly said. I looked surprised up to him. His eyes started to lit up and so was the rest of his face. It got me curious until I saw a grin appear on his face. 
'What?' I asked worriedly. 
'I want to talk about Seb with you,' he laughed. I shook my head immediately. 
'No,' I said straight back as I tried to ignore his begging puppy eyes face. 
'I think it's only fair since you almost caused a fist fight at the toilets today,' Daniel said, raising his eyebrows at me. I couldn't help myself but rolling my eyes dramatically at Daniel. 
'As if you guys were gonna fight over a girl,' I told him sarcastically. He looked at me busted.
'I kind of would've, for Maureen at least.' Daniel confessed. The corners of my mouth started to curl up as I kind of thought it was a cute gesture, even though fighting wasn't the answer. 'But this isn't about me. Tell me about you and Seb,'
'I don't think there is a Seb and me,' 
'Liar,' Daniel said immediately back with an amused face. Oh, how moods could change here in the hospital. 
'Well since Sebastian still thinks he slept with Maureen, I guess you can call me a liar yeah,' I sighed.  I still can't believe I let that happen. Both our heads turned from each other when the door from Maureen's room opened up and both my brother and my dad came out of the room. I stood up and Daniel followed my lead immediately. 
'We're so not done talking about this.' Daniel whispered in my ear. I looked back at him.
'No word to Maureen,' I hissed at him before walking straight into Maureen's room, with a smiling Daniel right behind me. I looked around the corner from the door into the room and saw that Maureen was awake. The corners of my mouth started to lift up as I walked further into the room. 
'On a scale of one to ten how bad do I look?' came out of Maureen's weak looking body as soon as she saw me. She sounded very tired. I smiled at her, walking even further to her and taking her hand before I spoke up.
'You have looked better,' I said, making my sister smile a little bit. Her eyes left mine and rolled further down into the room. She had a confused look on her face while she looked back at me. 
'I think the painkillers are doing more things then killing all my pain,' she said in a whisper voice. 
'What do you mean?' I asked, looking back at Daniel who kept his distance for some reason. 
'I'm hallucinating. I see someone that looks a lot like Daniel in the room,' Maureen explained to me, squeezing my hand a tiny bit with the power that she had in her. 
'That would be weird right?' I asked my sister, pressing my lips together to not show my big smile. She nodded slowly, almost unnoticeable. 'But I see him too. Actually, I think he even is real,' I grinned, nodding to Daniel to come closer and when he was in reach distance I pulled him closer to Maureen while I stepped away. 
'Daniel?' I heard Maureen say confused. I was standing at the end of Maureen's bed, smiling as Daniel greeted my sister. He had a loving and caring look on his face. It made me realise how happy I was for Maureen that she had someone like him by her side, even if she didn't realise it herself yet.
'So... you know about the thing?' Maureen asked Daniel, giving him a guilty look. Daniel shortly looked at me, before answering Maureen's question.
'Yeah I do,' he laughed softly.
'How?' Maureen asked. My eyes got bigger as I realised I had to tell Maureen someday what the real reason was for Daniel to know about our secret.
'We'll tell that story another time. You need to rest,' I said before Daniel could say anything else.
'It will be like a bedtime story,' Maureen said while having her eyes closed. Slowly a smile appeared on her face. I walked on the other side of the bed to get closer to my sister again. She looked like she was about to fall asleep any minute.
'I will tell you the story after you tell us what happened to you today. But first, we will let you sleep, okay?' I told her. I waited for an answer back, but that never came. I looked back at Daniel who was smiling back at me. We waited a few minutes before leaving the room again. Now I had to figure out how to tell Maureen the story of why Daniel knows about our secret. 

--
A/N: After weeks of having one or two exams every week I finally have a few weeks to recover from that hell hole before it all starts over again with new exams. So I'm hopefully gonna write a few chapters in advance so I can upload every week (and hopefully sometimes twice a week) 

Also, I want to remind you that my Daniel Ricciardo story is also coming real soon. With this Daniel story I want to upload twice a week. I'm aiming to get it online in two weeks, but I'm not 100% sure yet. 

Okay, that's all. Have a great week (:
x