14. Scare

Josh was laying in his bed, a smile on his face. It was eight at night and the two had just finished cleaning up dinner and Reagan said she had to call her mom so Josh left to go to their room.

He was currently looking at engagement rings on a private tab on his phone.

They didn't have a lot of money— hell, he had to sell art so they could have enough money for gas and groceries —but his parents had told him that when he was ready to get married, they'd buy his ring for him if they had to. His dad had been a lot more accepting when Josh started dating a girl so his mom has proposed the idea for when he wanted to well, propose.

He had found one he really liked that was a little under $2,000 and was looking at it, inspecting the design. It was simple with a small circle diamond. It wasn't too expensive, it was cute, and it was a token of their love.

Josh was saving the tab and going back to look at the others on the website when he heard a sniffle. He looked up and saw Reagan standing in the doorway, crying.

"Babe?" Josh's heart sank. "What's wrong?"

Her lip quivered and Josh instantly left the private tab, exiting Safari, and locking his phone. He set it down and got off the bed, walking towards her. He wrapped his arms around her tightly as she leaned into his chest and cried.

"Rea, I can't help if I don't know what's wrong," he told her softly, rubbing her back. "Can you tell me what's wrong?"

She pulled back and looked at him with glossy eyes, tear tracks on her red and blotchy face. Josh's thumb involuntarily lifted to her face to wipe them away. "My period's over a week late."

Josh's eyes widened. "Oh."

"Yeah," she nodded, the tears continuing. "I don't know what to do."

His eyes floated down to her stomach and he felt sick. He couldn't have a kid. Not yet at least. He wasn't ready. Obviously it's Reagan's choice but he didn't feel prepared to raise a child. He could barely take care of himself.

"Have you taken a test?" Josh swallowed the anxious lump in his throat.

"No. I wanted to wait and do it with you."

"O-okay," he nodded. "Do you have one?"

"No."

Josh was about to suggest they go get it together but he saw how bad her hands were shaking and how scared she looked. His heart hurt for her. He wanted to take that all away.

"I'll go get one," he walked out of their room, instantly hurrying over to grab his jacket and slip his Vans on.

"Josh?" Reagan called, he turned around and saw she was crying even harder.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" Josh asked gently.

"Because..." she took a shaky breath, making Josh automatically think the worst.

"Did you—"

"No!" She instantly replied. "God, no. I would never cheat on you. I should have prefaced," she wiped her face. "I just... I know you're already dealing with a lot and I'm not helping. I'm sorry."

"Hey," Josh grabbed her hand. "It's not your fault," he offered a small smile, resting his other hand on her stomach no matter how terrified he was and how much he wanted to throw up. "We're family. We stick together. No matter what."

"Okay," Reagan nodded, pressing her lips to Josh's. "I love you."

"I love you too. I'll be back as soon as I can."